Saturday 20 September 2014

Concert: Cabaret Songs

ShowFilmFirst played a (non-film) blinder this week, sending me a mail full of events I could get a free ticket for. Well, this evening's was the second I booked - a concert called Cabaret Songs. It was showing in King's Place, which turned out to be a short walk from King's Cross Station. So off I headed today, after a lazy afternoon.

Google Maps predicted I could make the journey in 38 minutes - so, of course, it took about 50. Mind you, it didn't help that I got completely lost upon exiting the station. Turned out I could have gone a shorter way - according to the map on the back of the ticket, when I eventually got it - but I'm just not familiar with the area. Anyway, I did find the right road in due course. I was passed by a woman, trotting in a hurried manner in the same direction and brandishing a piece of paper. Ah, I thought, that looks like the self-same ShowFilmFirst confirmation I have myself. (You need to print them out, the box office needs them.) This was to prove very useful, as I just followed her.

The venue is a large, multi-purpose space. The box office is just inside the door, which makes it easy to find. Unfortunately, the hall itself isn't. Tip: the concert halls are down the escalators. I learned this by, again, following the lady. As I approached the escalators, I could see signs for the concerts showing today. Great - pity they don't have a large sign saying something like "Concert Halls Downstairs"!

When you get downstairs, it suddenly becomes easy. The lady and her companion were seated beside me, and we all made it with two minutes to spare - not that there weren't latecomers after us. The venue is modern, the seats comfortable enough - although by the end, I was wriggling. And the concert was only about 45 minutes long! Ironic that the journey there took longer than the concert itself..

So, the soprano in this concert is a music student, and I'm guessing this concert is part of her coursework. Or maybe they just take every opportunity to perform, and the colleges facilitate them as they can. The pianist is a student, too. The soprano's nervousness was apparent - rapid breathing, and a fluttering in the tummy area. It didn't affect her performance, though. I wouldn't have chosen to listen to such music, but her singing was spectacular, and she sang most expressively. Pity I didn't understand more - it was all in German and mine isn't up to it. Anyway, I wish her well in her career.

As I exited, I noticed water around the back..

 
 
Turns out that King's Place backs onto Regent's Canal, which is full of houseboats - the cheapest (decent) accommodation in London. The London Canal Museum is just across the water. Also living on the river are a number of (hungry-looking) swans, which swam over hopefully as I took my picture. There's seating at the back of King's Place, overlooking the water - making this a most pleasant place to spend a sunny day!
 

Today, as you may be able to tell from the photo, was not such a sunny day. However, I'd have eaten in the café in King's Place, had I not had food at home that needed to be eaten before it went off. Ah well.

This weekend is Open House weekend in London, so that's likely to occupy me tomorrow. This is when they open many buildings to the public that are not commonly available to view. I'll probably do as before, and stick to the centre - there are quite enough venues there to keep me busy! Indeed, this evening will be busy, researching where I want to go..

No comments:

Post a Comment