Saturday 14 June 2014

Dance: Dreams of the Orient

I would've headed into town first today, to see the Naked Bike Ride. And then.. for the first time in ages.. it rained! And didn't look promising. So I skipped it. Anyway, I was knackered after yesterday's zoo expedition, and besides, I already had a free ticket, courtesy of ShowFilmFirst, to Dreams of the Orient this evening. So, I had a nice, relaxing afternoon instead. Heard low-flying planes at one point - not sure whether they had anything to do with the Trooping the Colour.

When it came time, I readied myself to head to Croydon. I was there not so long ago, for yet another show courtesy of ShowFilmFirst, so pretty much remembered how to get there - train from West Brompton, either direct or via Clapham Junction, to East Croydon. Turn right from the station, and Fairfield Halls are around the corner to the left - you can cut across a plaza. It's faster to take an express train from Clapham than to go direct from West Brompton. Anyway, I checked with TFL and no planned engineering works this weekend are affecting the bit of the Overground that runs between West Brompton and Clapham Junction, so that was ok. The very useful Which Platform? website informed me that I would need Platform 13 at Clapham Junction, and Google Maps told me that the trains are run by Southern, whose timetables informed me that there was a train about every 10 minutes, in case I missed the one I was aiming for, and that the single fare from Clapham was £7.30. Not that I'd be paying separately - Croydon is still inside the London travel zones, and valid for travel with the integrated Oyster card, which is both cheaper and handier.

The Tube isn't running through West Brompton this weekend. Now, when that happens, they close the main doors and open the side gate for access to the Overground platforms, as long as the Overground isn't also affected. This is really handy for me, because the gate is closer from my side. I was early for the train, but it was pleasant to stand on the platform with the mild breeze that was blowing. The train was pretty busy when it arrived, and I had to stand - but it was only two stops. I was just in time to miss the train before the one I was aiming for, at Clapham, and in plenty of time for the one I wanted. Just as well I didn't go any later, really - we had a couple of unscheduled stops on the way.

I took the shortcut across the plaza this time to get to the venue - I hadn't been sure of my way last time. Arrived at the venue at about 6.55 - the show wasn't actually scheduled to start until 7.30, but if you have a free ticket, you're supposed to show up half an hour early. I doubt they enforce it, but I do try to hold to that. Unfortunately, I arrived at the same time as a whole load of free ticket holders, and had to queue. When I exchanged my voucher, she automatically gave me two tickets, and I had to give one back. You are allowed up to two, y'see.

I was thirsty, and bought a bottle of orange and passion fruit juice, but there was no point in buying anything more substantial to eat - as usual, there was nowhere to sit! As it was, I ended up leaning against a stair-rail while I drank. It turned out that there was a classical concert there this evening as well, and a lady who asked me whether I had a programme, and then gave me one when I said I didn't, thought that was what I was going to! Nice of her, all the same. They certainly have a full schedule at Fairfield.

I went in as soon as I could, but the start was somewhat delayed by the steward frantically running around, evicting people who had just sat where they wanted, and ended up in other people's seats! For heaven's sake. Mind you, I know that the free tickets are allotted without capacity for special requests, so maybe that was the problem. A lady was wandering the aisles, distributing free programmes, so I took one. Turns out that the show was the brainchild of an English woman who became besotted by the Arab world as a kid, and never lost it. When she discovered bellydancing, she found her vocation, and is now an award-winning dancer herself, who founded a dance school, and finally conceived this show, which features a handful of other award-winning dancers of various nationalities, as well as a general company of dancers, and several story changes, designed to highlight different dance themes.

Is it any good? Yes, it's good! It's unashamedly populist - has all the elements you'd expect from a popular show based on the Arabian Nights. We start in the sultan's harem, with spinning dancers brandishing flowing veils. Various storylines allow for different dancing styles, and gorgeous costume changes. We also see a sorceress / fire-eater, ghouls, genies, and assassins. There's just one main male dancer, who alternately plays the sultan, and Sinbad, as required. And the lady who conceived the show, who must be nearing retirement age, also comes onstage, telling us the story of how she came to love this culture, and even participating, briefly, in the dancing. It's sweet - you can tell it's really her baby!

The dancers are terrific - every bit the equal of an exceptional one that I saw years ago in Istanbul. The dancing also incorporates elements of ballet and salsa - apparently the dancers choreographed their own routines. And the music is intoxicating.. rhythmic bellydance music, with some of the Scherezade Suite by Rimsky Korsakov thrown in for good measure. I don't know where, or even whether, they're playing again, but I wish them all the best.

I had just a few minutes to wait for the train back to Clapham - a good thing, because it turned chilly. And when I got there, the incoming train that terminated there and would shortly be heading towards West Brompton had just arrived, giving me somewhere warm to sit. Oh, and the total fare, for a return journey from West Brompton to East Croydon, via Clapham Junction? £4.60, on Oyster. I benefitted from a cheaper weekend rate, but still.. no arguing with it, Oyster is great value for money!

For tomorrow, I see that the East End Film Festival is showing a free, outdoor screening of Chef, the new film where a top restaurant chef gets fired by his boss - Dustin Hoffman - and starts a food truck. The guy who plays the chef also directs. Robert Downey, Jr. plays his ex-wife's other ex-husband. Scarlett Johansson seems to play the love interest, by the looks of the trailer. Looks good - but this is dependant on decent weather, otherwise I'll wait and pay to see it with a roof over my head! Still, if it works out, it'll have been a cheap weekend.. Plan B, if it rains, is The Magnificent Ambersons, restored and playing at the BFI - it was directed, in 1942, by Orson Welles. Good either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment