Sunday 15 December 2013

Restaurant: Lily Tandoori

I rushed to check in on time for my flight, which was then delayed by no less than 1hr 25 mins, so it was no wonder that I didn't feel like putting any effort into my evening meal when I finally got home. I fancied Taiwan Village, but left it a bit late and arrived 15 minutes before they closed - so I said I'd try one of the Indian restaurants across the road. Lily Tandoori is right by the pedestrian crossing, and having had a look at the menu, I could see that they do my favourite - butter chicken. By that stage, one of the waiters had spotted me and was staring at me through the window, so that was that, and I went in.

There was an elderly gent sitting at the table by the window, who, while not actually contributing anything of use, was keen to have an input into everything that was happening in the restaurant. I suspect that this was Dad, retired now and plonked there to keep an eye on him, while simultaneously letting him feel like he's still part of the business. Anyway, he was certainly keeping an eye on everyone else, suggesting to the waiter what table to seat me at. The upstairs is cosy, although I think they have a much larger seating area downstairs - anyway, upstairs, the tables are partitioned by interesting glass panels, etched with scenes of what look like Indian folk tales. I'd love to have a closer look at them some time.

I was glad I hadn't bothered bringing a book, as the office party taking up practically the rest of the room was most entertaining. In breaks from watching them exchange Secret Santa presents, I ordered my butter chicken, with pulau rice (almost forgot the peshwari naan) and for starter, didn't fancy anything on the list that I knew, so decided to be brave and try the chicken chat.

The chicken chat turned out to be an inspired choice. Quite spicier than anticipated, it was also extremely tasty, and a real eye-opener - here is a restaurant that can combine hotness and flavour! This is rare enough that it's quite put me off spicy dishes - but here is a restaurant that might reconvert me. The rest of the meal was delicious, but I think that, if I come back here (as is highly likely) I will try something spicier than the butter chicken, to see what they can do in this kitchen. Combine this with really friendly service, and you have a find among restaurants - especially given that, if I hadn't had that second glass of wine, the bill would have come to less than £20 - for a starter, main, rice, naan, and a glass of wine. Excellent! I now have two great restaurants within a few minutes' walk of my place..

It's still looking like The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug for tomorrow. The closest cinema showing it is the Odeon Kensington - maybe I can use my points at last! and get a free film. I'll go to the matinee, considering I have the day off..

No comments:

Post a Comment