Tuesday 17 December 2013

Play: Fred and Mary

Tonight, I ventured to Richmond for the first time in an age, to the Orange Tree Theatre, where they're showing a three-part adaptation of Middlemarch, by George Eliot. Fred and Mary is the third part - the first part was sold out for today, and the second wasn't showing today. Google Maps was of the opinion that the fastest way to get there is to get the Overground to Clapham Junction and then a train, but I prefer to go direct where possible, so I said I'd take the Tube.

Word of warning - it takes 10 minutes longer, at peak periods, to get to Richmond by Tube than Google Maps thinks, and had I caught the Tube they suggested, rather than the one before, I'd have been late. And that would have been ironic, given that I was late the last time I attended a play here - I remember dashing, breathless, across the road and up the steps. The door was locked, but there was a chap looking out the window, who let me in, got my ticket, which had been booked, and showed me to my seat. I was so grateful!

No, on this occasion, I was much more relaxed. So much so that I had severe difficulty staying awake on the journey - maybe it was the crush in the carriage. Anyway, you just turn right out of the station and it's across the road. Head for the flight of steps you can see - handy to know that, it's not obvious on sight. I got my ticket and headed in. Seating is unallocated within levels - you just choose upper or lower level, and sit wherever you can. There was an amusing argument between an usher and the people in the row in front of me, whom she was trying to get to squeeze up so that two more people could fit (seating is on cushioned benches). They did squeeze up, but a blind person could see that only one more could fit - the usher, however, was adamant that nine people should be able to fit on each side. Seems the theatre isn't a perfect square after all, and that side was a bit shorter.. Peace was restored when they got seats on one of the longer rows.

The theatre was almost full but not quite. Justifiably - this was a lovely evening! The novel takes place in the years 1829 - 32, so late Regency. Think Jane Austen. Bonnets, empire-line, low-cut dresses, tailcoats, waistcoats, breeches. Sensible young women who know they must marry for security as well as for love. Mind you, speaking of sense, whenever I see those dresses, I can't help but remember the comment of a museum curator that the low-cut bodices and light fabrics, unsuitable for the climate of these islands, contributed greatly to the incidence of consumption. But I digress.

This will be of interest to anyone who likes period drama, anyone who likes soap operas. People who do not like these things, in fairness, should stay well away. I found it absolutely charming, and amusing, and was fascinated by the stories - I would love to see the other plays in the trilogy, but that won't be possible now before Christmas. The trilogy runs until about the beginning of February. If you like this sort of thing, don't miss it! I had a peek at someone's programme at the interval, and ended up buying one myself, because it goes into useful detail about the historical context, which features largely in the story.

More plays tomorrow night - a trilogy in one evening. The El. Train, a trio of one-act plays by Eugene O' Neill, is playing in Hoxton Hall in Shoreditch, and apparently they have the place done out as a 1920s speakeasy. Check out the "El. Train" link, above, for a new twist on web design, something I haven't seen before. V impressive. And on Thursday night, I'm heading to the preview of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, in the Vue cinema, Harrow. Interestingly, I got a ShowFilmFirst email about that this evening, offering free tickets to that self-same preview - which were already sold out, even though I immediately clicked on the link. That's been happening a lot. But what really took the biscuit was that they were also offering tickets to previews today - one at 4.30, one at 6.30. The email didn't come until 5.50! I complained - doubt I'll get any good of them though.

Which brings me nicely to the Christmas Party on Friday. The part of my outfit that I sent off for - from California! - finally arrived yesterday, thank goodness. Now I just have to put it all together..

No comments:

Post a Comment