Wednesday 11 December 2013

Musical: Dickens Abridged

Yep, I know I said I probably wouldn't go to anything tonight. I have to be up early in the morning (I'm only still up now because my flatmate is in the shower and I need the loo!), and what I was thinking of going to was a film, and the film I most wanted to see was on too late. But then I checked TimeOut today, on the offchance, and they recommended Dickens Abridged. Only 90 mins, and just around the corner from Leicester Square Tube, in the Arts Theatre. My, it's a long time since I was there!

Now, I loved Shakespeare Abridged when I saw it, years ago, so this was a no-brainer. I had a hunt on the internet for cheap tickets, but almost no-one but the venue itself had any for tonight, and those that were available were more expensive, so I went with the venue box office. Sadly, I've received several ticket offers for this show, but by today they were all either expired or sold out. Or both. (I did notice that Viagogo was offering tickets for tonight.. wonder how that would work with them having to get them posted and all!) Three categories of tickets were available - the cheapest were in the very front row, and advertised as having slightly restricted view, because of the high stage. No thanks, that sounds very cramped. So then it was front or rear stalls - I chose rear, being cheaper. Had a choice of the entire section, so chose the front row of the rear stalls - centre seat.

Having consulted Google Maps to remind myself, I knew I needed to exit the station via Cranbourn Street, hang a left, and it was just around the corner. My, though, finding the exit for Cranbourn Street was a pain. I had to double back on myself - good job I was early - and it turns out you need to take a sharp right from the Piccadilly Line exit. You then want station exit 4. And after that it was a breeze, and I was on time for once! The seat was fine, BTW - good view of the stage. Bit of a breeze from the door though, and they seemed to have no restriction on latecomers, which could be annoying, because frankly, the theatre is quite creaky and you can hear everything.

How to describe this show? Well, it consists of five guys, all of whom play instruments at some point, I believe. Mostly guitars - there's also a piano onstage, and someone brings on a triangle at some point. This is all as an accompaniment to the life story of Charles Dickens, and a potted version of several of his works. Some are acted out, with some of the guys in drag (and some very quick costume changes!) and some are summarised in song.

..and that's a very prosaic way of describing the wittiest play I've seen in a long time. The songs are fantastic, the descriptions irreverent, and the actors have a perfect sense of comic timing. We laughed out loud, we cheered, we were entertained! Highly recommended. Doesn't matter if you don't know much Dickens going in, you'll have a better idea coming out. My personal favourite was the singing severed head from A Tale of Two Cities. That really was well done! Runs until 5 January, see it if you can.

And now, to all a good night! I must away to Guildford at a ridiculous hour of the morning, and we have our department Christmas dinner there tomorrow evening, in Loch Fyne seafood restaurant. And yes, I have already researched my ways of getting home if the Overground has stopped running - I was caught that way before!

No comments:

Post a Comment