Tuesday 11 June 2013

Rutherford and Son

Last night, I went to Rutherford and Son at the St James Theatre. This has been quite heavily promoted, and I had a couple of vouchers for it - sadly, both had expired by the time I got around to it. Never mind - they only offered tickets at the same price I normally book at anyway. Also, annoyingly, I had already booked when I got an email - last thing yesterday evening - from ShowFilmFirst, offering free tickets to another show in town. Yesterday only. Bah humbug.

Now, I booked the aisle seat on the near side in the back row. I always do - the aisle seat compensates for the slightly cramped legroom, the back row is cheaper, and anyway, the view is fine. And they always upgrade you. Always, in my experience - the theatre has never even been half full when I've been there. The first time I was there, I accepted the upgrade, got a nice, close seat, and was cramped all night. The second time, I rejected the upgrade. This time, I thought, if I'm offered an upgrade, I'll accept, as long as I can get an aisle seat - that would be just as good. Behold and lo, I was offered an upgrade, asked for an aisle seat, and ended up four rows closer to the stage. So that was a good plan, and I'd recommend it to anyone booking here.

This play was written in 1912, is set in 1912, and is stunning. Will appeal to anyone who loves those costume dramas on the BBC. Brilliant writing, brilliant characterisation, terrific acting. The family patriarch rules the clan with an iron fist, everything is done for the sake of the business he founded. His children resent him and the house - somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales - is unrelentingly gloomy and loveless, as remarked on by the hapless Mary, who comes from London and had the misfortune to marry the son and heir. In particular, the tirade that the daughter, Janet, unleashes on her father just before the interval is gripping. The father, however, is not completely unsympathetic - a complex and believable character. Highly, highly recommended. Runs until 29th. Booking recommended, as I say, in the back row, to be upgraded further down.

Coming out, I was hungry, and they have a restaurant and brasserie, but I remembered seeing plenty of restaurants on the road to the station, so off I went. Nearly at the station, I came across an unassuming Indian restaurant - the Buckingham Balti. The name is not prominent, but it's the only Indian on this stretch. Having had a tantalising whiff of curry at lunch, I decided this was what I fancied, and indeed had a quick, delicious, and very reasonably priced meal here. One of the better Indian meals I've had. Also highly recommended. The place was nearly empty, so service was attentive, and I happened to be sat right beside the talkative table of three, so plenty of eavesdropping opportunities.

So far, it's looking like the film The Killing of a Chinese Bookie tonight, at the Institute of Contemporary Arts. And I'm thinking about the arial show, Flown, at the Udderbelly festival, for tomorrow. But the next thing that's definite is Colm Wilkinson on Friday, in Limerick..

No comments:

Post a Comment