Saturday 22 June 2013

Restaurant: Poet's Corner

We had business in Ennis town centre this evening, so ate in the Poet's Corner, which is the bar of the Old Ground hotel.

This is arguably the best hotel in Ennis. There are a number of town centre hotels, but this is the oldest, and has hosted celebrity weddings in the past. Has that slight air of poshness about it. Parking is generally tricky - the car park tends to overflow - so we were happy to pay for parking on the street outside.

The bar was packed, and we got practically the last table in the place, right in the corner at the back. Now, the hotel may be posh, but the bar is cosy and welcoming. A pity that I had to take a stool - I have a bad back, and it wasn't the most comfortable option. Never mind.

Most remarkable about the food here is the speed with which it is served. I swear, five minutes after we ordered, we had our drinks, and three minutes later, our mains (we didn't have starters). And my chicken, certainly, was succulent and perfectly cooked. The chips were piping hot, and the salad dressing tasty. My mother had plaice, which she enjoyed, although the portion was huge, too much for her. Well, the cat appreciated the leftovers, later..

And, satisfyingly, the heavy rain cleaned my car of the debris that had fallen from the trees under which I park it. Result!!

Heading to Strange Interlude in the National Theatre on Monday. Twice to the National in under a week, when I haven't been there in ages. Well, that's how it goes. And on Tuesday, I have a free ticket to a special preview of This Is the End. Looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment