Wednesday 12 June 2013

Film: The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Well, it was to be a film last night, and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie was the highest-rated (according to IMDB) film showing in London last night that I might be interested in. Apart from Made of Stone, which is about the Stone Roses, whom I'm not so interested in (the film has now slipped to 6.9, but anyway), and a film whose name I've now forgotten, about some rock guitarist who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease at 19 and told he wouldn't have long to live, and here he is 20 years later. Yay. Except he can only move his eyes, which is how he makes music, apparently. I wish him well, but do I want to sit through a documentary on him?

So I took myself off to the aforementioned "Killing of a Chinese Bookie". On the way, had the immensely satisfying experience of being asked for directions by someone outside West Ken station, who couldn't find the street she wanted on the map, and.. I knew without having to look it up! I pass it often! Rare, that feeling. Anyway, the film was in the Institute of Contemporary Arts. I like going here, they have a terrific bookshop - which gives me lots of ideas for things to buy later, cheaper, online - but being on the Mall, it's also close to lots of touristy things, so gives me a good excuse to gape and take photos.

 Regent Street
 
Oh, and the army were loading horses back onto trucks as I arrived, whatever they'd been at - there is always something on the Mall. Gorgeous gilt livery.. Didn't have time to browse the bookshop this time, the cinema was open by the time I got there, and rapidly filled. Mind you, it was the small screen, and the last night this was showing. The film itself was interesting, a 70s thriller about the owner of a strip club in LA, in debt to the Mob, who, being an army veteran with some experience of killing people, has to pay back the Mob by getting rid of this particular Chinese bookie for them. Now, if this were a recent film and starred Bruce Willis, or Colin Farrell, or Jason Statham, or the like, it'd be all action and car chases and a damsel in distress. And probably boring, formulaic stuff. This, on the other hand, occupied itself much more with the character of the guy who has to repay the debt. Far from car chases, the car they've stolen for him breaks down in the middle of the freeway. An intense film, set in seedy environs, but with a heart.
 
And so back up Regent Street..
 
 
'Tis looking like Flown at the Udderbelly Festival tonight. Well, who could resist the lure of an upside-down, oversized, purple cow? Then back to Ireland for Colm Wilkinson on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment