Sunday 21 June 2020

Musical: The Hired Man

Today, Up in the Cheap Seats was watching The Hired Man - too late in the day for me, so I thought of watching it earlier. Who knows when I'll get to a Meetup again..?

In the end, I started to watch it quite a bit later than they did - too late to be able to watch all of it, but I figured I could catch up later. Well, I got to see about 45 minutes' worth. And based on what I saw - despite all the positive comments below the video - I couldn't be bothered watching the rest.

I'll give it this, the music is catchy - but although I do admire actors who also sing and play instruments, this singing wasn't great. There was, in fact, one duet where I actually cringed, they were both so incapable of carrying it off. And although I'm sure the story grew legs eventually, all that happened in 45 minutes was that we were introduced to the main characters, and the wife fell for the local bigshot while her husband was away. Maybe I fell asleep without noticing, but I didn't notice them starting an affair, as was hinted at in the duet. It would've livened things up. As it was, every few seconds, they seemed to launch into another blasted song about how great rural life was. No wonder it was taking forever! Sorry, I just couldn't get into it.

Probably film again on Saturday - best on Mubi at the moment (that I haven't seen) is Woman at War, again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment