Friday 16 December 2022

Storytelling: The Winner Takes It All

Last night, back with the Crick Crack Club, yay! for The Winner Takes It All at Rich Mix. This, the club's last performance of the year, was performed by a congregation of souls known as Pandvani 108, comprising Ben HaggartyEmily Hennessy, and Sheema Mukherjee, among others.

Signed up to a pointless series of sales induction talks, I dropped out of last night's early, shh.. and took myself off for food. No earthly point in going to O' Neill's, which would have been my standard - they're only taking bookings these days, and completely booked out for the rest of the week. I figured I'd be OK with Pret, in the station. Well, I was.. except it was freezing! I shivered my way through my meal. Also, in this Pret, they don't have bins - you literally just leave your stuff on the table for collection. To be fair, they do seem to collect rather fast..

And so I caught the bus, the #205, for once, coming (roughly) when it was supposed to! And when I got off, I had a freezing walk to Rich Mix - last night was a seriously frigid one. Oh, was I glad to get in - and noted that, had I taken the bus suggested to me on Google Maps, I'd have been late! Certainly, had I stayed for the end of that (pointless, annoying, boring) meeting - I noticed today that it finished at 7.09pm - I'd definitely have been late! Never mind hungry.. Anyway, I got myself a glass of wine - not terrific, but they didn't have the sauvignon blanc, and headed in, getting a seat in the front row. In fact, when I arrived, the place was half empty!


Two other musicians appeared, besides Sheema Mukherjee, and there were three storytellers as well - Ben, Emily, and a lady I wasn't familiar with. She turned out to be Steph Brittain. Anyway. You always expect the best from the Crick Crack Club, but this was something different - more lighthearted than usual, Ben not all in black (and with ankle bells!), plenty of jokes, and other storytellers commenting on the main story being told. And the music being played? Primarily popular songs! linked to whatever story was currently being told. Great fun.

Ben started us off with a saucy take on the story of Endymion - followed by Steph, with something Indian (I think) and Emily, who tends to go for Indian stories in general anyway. After the interval, more from Steph - and Ben gave us a tale of Fionn Mac Cumhaill! To, of all things, the soundtrack of Thugamar Féin an Samhraidh Linn, softly sung by Steph! In Irish, yet. Well, that was unexpected. Emily finished off the night, with a typically mischievous tale of Thor and Loki. Another terrific night, to finish off the year.. and a cold walk back to the bus.

This evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - just worked out that way - coinciding perfectly with a train strike! So I've booked a ticket on the bus - will just have to take this evening's meeting on my phone! If it even happens.. since I started this job, there hasn't been an evening meeting! Fingers crossed.. And would you believe it, there isn't a single film showing in any of my local cinemas in Ireland at the weekend that I haven't seen and want to see.. Bah humbug! Just have to go Christmas shopping. ;-)

On Monday, back with London Baroque Music Lovers for the first time in months! This time, we're back to see Les Arts Florissants, who are performing Charpentier's Christmas music at the Barbican.

On Tuesday, couldn't see anything on Meetup, again - so I'm with TAC for The Grotto, a Christmas comedy at the Drayton Arms, which was local to me, many years ago!

On Wednesday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - we're going to St. John's, Smith Square to hear the Tallis Scholars. Which should be lovely! I had to get a ticket for the Gallery - the ground floor was already sold out!

And - last London event of the year, on Thursday, goes to (drum roll).. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners!! Oh, it'll be so good to see them again - I'm taking the day off specially. It's for Dickens in the City - a Festive Walk. Ah well now, I wouldn't miss the last of the year.. Starts nice and close to me too, at the Shakespeare's Head pub. And it's full, with four on the waitlist. Nice way to finish the year - I can't go on his walks so much now, while I'm working and he's only scheduling them during working hours..

Next Friday, it's back to Ireland for Christmas. See you on the other side..! Have a very merry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment