Tuesday 6 December 2022

Play: Dinner with Groucho

Today, I headed to Reading for a face to face with my boss & co-writer. Happily, only for the first half of the day - so it didn't impact on my evening. And they were supposed to take me for lunch at Thai Square - gosh, it's ages since I had Thai!

Well, dragging myself out so early was a nightmare - but I managed it. The rented office is a nice space - nice, spacious reception, with friendly staff: nice, spacious canteen, where you have to pay, but they have games tables and good hot chocolate. (And yes, we can expense everything - the boss took me through it as part of today's induction.) There's free WiFi, and the private office you rent comes complete with power points, bottled, still water, and a screen for presentations. They also have phone booths and little sofa areas where you can have smaller meetings. Yes, just the thing! apart from the really noisy people in the next office. Sadly, lunch didn't happen - the boss got called into another meeting, and the other writer didn't fancy eating out. And since the boss had bought me a hot chocolate, I wasn't that hungry either! so just went home once we were finished.

The nadir of the day was the sales induction meeting. (Sales? Me?) It was holding me back from going to eat before I went out. And not only that - but it wasn't the end of my woes; no, there are three blasted sales induction meetings next week, for which we have to do a load of work in advance. And which involve (ahem) roleplay. Three or four hours each, and running as late as 7pm. Words cannot describe my feelings about this - so I won't. Suffice to say that it also scuppered my plans to eat this evening - I just didn't have time before I had to leave.

This evening, well, Free Stuff and Free Events were holding another online singalong. Again, I cancelled my attendance at the last of these I booked for, so was reluctant to rush off and book again.. Or the Garden Talks had one on How Did Language Begin? Unfortunately, my free trial has long since expired, and they won't let me take out another. Well, I might have paid - but I'd be paying for a month's worth, so I figured I might as well wait until closer to the date, and get the value.. And yay, then Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) jumped to the rescue again, with a comedy called Dinner with Groucho, at the Arcola. The setting is a dinner, somewhere in heaven, with Groucho Marks and T. S. Eliot the guests.

I made it there first, and grabbed a table before they all got snapped up - they don't sell large glasses of wine here, so I got a medium: and would you credit it, not only do they have Tayto, but it's Republic of Ireland Tayto! So I had two packs - well, that was dinner! The others arrived in due course, and we chatted before going in. Unfortunately, most of us had seats to the street side, which meant we were supposed to enter via the street.. and Lordy, was it cold!


The house was only half full, and those who wanted were invited to sit closer. Mind you, there was a guy all alone in the back row, behind me, who explained to the usher that he'd actually chosen to move to the back! and people who'd taken drinks on the balcony - certainly those who'd taken wine - were made to move downstairs; you aren't allowed drinks on the balcony.

We loved the baubles hanging from the ceiling - they look really well, and provide good lighting effects throughout. Now, this has three characters - Groucho, T. S. Eliot (whose face really bugged me - he really reminded me of someone, but I couldn't think whom! Finally figured out it was Karl Malden), and someone who calls herself Marguerite, but says you can use any variant thereof - except Maggie. The whole setting is elegant. She, in particular, effects an outfit change every time she goes offstage - she acts as the waiter, taking their orders all evening, and usually staying for a chat.

The conversation is clever, as you'd expect - each guest asserts himself a fan of the other, and quotes the other at different points during the meal. And gee, they're having such a good time - and the alcohol is flowing so freely - that they frequently break into dance routines..!

Now, I loved the conversational exchanges between the guests - but I really struggled to see the point of the whole thing. I understand the guests' mutual appreciation - but quite what Margeuerite is doing there is beyond me - as are her profound musings. Still, I did enjoy parts. Any deeper meaning was lost on me, I'm afraid. Runs till Saturday, if you're interested. Has the advantage of being over early - which was a boon, on a night as cold as tonight!

Tomorrow, I'm back with UITCS for Baghdaddy at the Royal Court. About a little girl, realising she's half Iraqi, just as the Gulf War is raging. I see CT now has tickets for this.. unusually for this venue!

On Thursday, I've signed up for another Watkin's Bookshop talk! This is Colin Stanley on Colin Wilson's Introducing the Occult. Well, the last talk I was at here was interesting, so..

On Friday, I'm heading to Lightopia, at Crystal Palace Park. As suggested by Over 40 Living the Life, who are not actually hosting a trip themselves, but just wanted to advertise it. 15% discount if you subscribe to Lightopia's mailing list, 20% discount for purchases of 10 or more tickets. And durnit if Groupon hasn't just advertised cheap tickets..

On Saturday - well hallelujah, Bucket List London has finally scheduled something I want to go to, at a time I can make! He's off to see the Wallace Collection that morning - and so am I.

In the afternoon - London Social & Cultural Meetups (LSCM) has a bevy of Christmassy stuff! They're off for afternoon tea first - I should get there in time for that; we have a choice of the Garden at the Lane (at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane), or, if people prefer, the Willows on the Roof terrace bar at John Lewis. Which, as she says, might be chillier!

So, then we're off to King's College Maughan Library, for an exhibition of old manuscripts. Followed by a trip to the Knights Templar pub, time permitting.

And finally, we're hitting the Christmas markets! All part of the Southbank Winter Festival. First is the Southbank Christmas Market, where I hear rumours of white mulled wine.. then I'm not sure whether I'll have time, but we're off to the Christmas by the River Market.

I might have to duck out early because that evening - I've bravely scheduled another meeting of Those who Do Not Come. It's my last weekend in London before Christmas, you see. Well, so far Ivan and my first boss in London are actually coming! while the one person who came the last two times probably not, for once. We shall see - I've booked The Lucas Arms - O' Neill's isn't taking bookings for that day. Deposit payable, refundable with cancellation up to 72 hours beforehand.

On Sunday, I was vaguely thinking of heading to see Carnaby Street's Christmas lights.. but now LSCM is off to the Museum of the Home, followed by carols by candlelight at Westminster Chapel.

And for that evening, CT advertised tickets for Love Factually - a kind of rewriting of one of the relationships in that classic Christmas romcom, Love Actually. Sadly, all their tickets were gone - but I got a full-price ticket from the venue. It sounds good. Showing at 2Northdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment