Thursday 6 January 2022

New Year Dinner: Meet the London Expert!

Yesterday, I booked with CT to see Clean Slate Comedy, at Alice House, West Hampstead. But on Monday, I saw an advert for Bucket List London, hosting a New Year Dinner: Meet the London Expert! Well, honestly, since I booked that comedy show, there have been a few clashes - but I hadn't realised this was on, it wasn't up when I was initially looking for something for that day. So I promptly cancelled what I had booked - I'll have to be careful, you can only cancel three times with them over the course of a year, before you're thrown out! and that's twice now. Anyway, this dinner took place in the Duke of Sussex pub, and for the price we got dinner and a talk by a Blue Badge guide, Laurence Summers, whose name I'm sure I've seen mentioned in other Meetups. It's a shame there weren't more of us going, but that might be fear of Covid.

So, I started out a little later than intended - but this did start unusually early, at the time I normally finish work. Well, the earliest time. Anyway, the bus came very promptly, and beat Google Maps' estimate, so I made the trip faster than anticipated! The organiser had suggested we get a drink downstairs and bring it to the upstairs room he'd booked - but as I waited for my order, up he popped at my shoulder! They were still downstairs, waiting for the speaker. So we had a lovely chat down there - mainly about Ireland, as it happened, what with both my companions having connections there. Wow, you really can't go anywhere without bumping into someone who's a bit Irish, can you?!

When the speaker arrived, it was with a couple of other guys - so the group wasn't as small as we'd feared. And lo, we were in a cosy room, just about big enough for us, with a sofa at one end that was handy for leaving coats on, and a dining table taking up most of the space. The waiting staff were most conscientious, even leaving a bluetooth speaker for us in case we wanted to play some music! And there must have been someone in every 15 minutes to check whether we needed anything, take drinks orders and so on. When we checked the menus, there were no pies, which we'd seen online - but it turned out there was one, chicken and mushroom, with mash and red wine jus, on the list of specials, and three of us had that - another had fish n chips, another had the burger, and finally there was a sea bream. What we'd paid covered the mains - I think someone had a starter, can't honestly remember. And when the chap with the sea bream discovered I was on white wine, and ordering another, he generously paid for a bottle to share! and then another, which we just about finished before going downstairs again. Well, I was celebrating - had a job interview earlier, which went terrifically, so watch this space - I might soon be able to ditch the vexing place I'm in now.

The talk by the guide turned into a friendly chat over dinner - he's also an actor, it seems - or used to be - and gave an engaging account of how he came to be a tour guide, and all the pain he had to go through to get that coveted Blue Badge. Really entertaining evening, but it was sad to hear how lockdown, and the lack of tourists (particularly from the States) has affected his business - like so many others. Anyway, after dinner, we repaired to the downstairs bar, where the football was on - and Mr. sea bream bought us yet another bottle of wine! and a glass to finish. Really, I was slightly sozzled by the time we left - but it was a lovely evening, in great company (as always with this group). And this is a handy pub to know about - they have three rooms for hire, I'm guessing at least one of which is bigger than the one we were in. The staff were not only conscientious, but unfailingly friendly, the pie, I have to say, was delicious (I would have liked to try the chips too, they looked really good) - and just down the road from Waterloo, it's easy to find. Highly recommended - both pub and group!

I was in no state to blog when I got home - it was as much as I could do to get to bed. Today, I was feeling ever so slightly the worse for wear, and decided I just couldn't face my usual Wasabi katsu chicken curry - so I decided it was about time I tried the pasta n pizza restaurant at Eataly for brunch. The long staircase I climbed to it was hard work.. but well worth it, as the friendly and efficient service and delicious, filling food were exactly the medicine I needed.

Not sure about the glass of pinot grigio I had though, but maybe that was the after-effects of last night, spoiling the taste. The pane e olio is something I don't think I'll order again - there was far too much, although it was delicious. And home-made, apparently like all their stuff! It came with a ramekin of extra virgin olive oil, but I decided I preferred it without. And gee, the bread was sliced, and into the gaps were poised what looked like poppadoms - which I skipped. My main was much more successful, however - I wanted something simple, so, like the last Italian meal I had, I chose the pasta with truffle. And as you'd expect, the pasta was perfection itself - although it had been intricately woven into a parcel that was a little annoying to unravel. And there was just about the perfect amount. I had a look at the dessert menu, but honestly couldn't summon the energy to eat any! Great choice for lunch / brunch, though.

And on my way out - I found the escalators! So, if you want to avoid the climb, don't take the entrance beside Liverpool Street Station - carry on down the road to where it says "Eataly" again, the escalators are inside that door. And I discovered an outdoor terrace I hadn't known was there, where you can have drinks! Well, you live and learn.

Tonight, a new organiser with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) has arranged an outing to a classical concert by the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican.. and wouldn't you know it, I had just booked the same thing with TAC! So I signed up - we've been chatting over the last few days, it'll be nice to meet her. Turns out she's in the same club, and seems to be starting a habit of booking their events - so I'll know to check their listings if I see something from her!

Tomorrow, North London Friends is off to - Matthew Bourne's production of The Nutcracker, at Sadler's Wells! Aw man, I've been dying to see this! Well, they had their own tickets, and all are now sold out - but they were more expensive than I tend to go for, anyway. So I booked one of my regular seats, in the gods, a single seat to the side. Perfect. (Annoyingly, CT offered tickets to this - very briefly - last year, but by the time I checked, they were all gone. But my seat isn't expensive anyway.) Had to reset my password - they've enhanced the security requirements for passwords.

On Saturday - ironically, the most expensive thing I've booked - I'm headed with London European Club to an Albrecht Durer exhibition at the National Gallery. I could have booked for free if I'd taken out membership, but I don't think I'd get the value of it. We're supposed to get access to a free audio guide with the booking, accessible through our smartphones, but I can't seem to see any evidence of it.. if we are getting one, I'll have to pop into the office tomorrow, I left my headphones in there! Anyway, we're meeting beforehand at Notes Coffee.

That's around lunchtime - and in the evening, that same LCMTG organiser has booked for Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, in Charing Cross Theatre. Now, this was a funny one, because we both booked with TAC - but when someone else wanted to book, he went to the theatre website, where it said Saturday's performances were cancelled! Much to-ing and fro-ing eventually clarified that actually, the performances are going ahead, but only for an invited audience - including TAC. Well, don't we feel privileged! 

On Sunday, I'm with Discover London - History Walks and Events for a walk entitled Bawdy Borough: Poverty, Prostitutes and Playhouses. Cash on the day, annoyingly - I just about have it, as long as she doesn't mind a bit of change!

And on Monday, back with LCMTG, for a Gabrieli Consort & Players concert at Wigmore Hall. And wouldn't you know it, the organiser gave his seat number for once - so, when I saw the seat beside him was free, I booked it! So, on my third Meetup with him - I just might get to meet him, finally! (Mind you, he then booked to come tonight, so maybe I'll get a preview..)

No comments:

Post a Comment