Sunday 11 July 2021

St. Patrick's Festival: Ballad Tours Dublin

With no more films on in Limerick that I could make and that I was interested in, I checked what was on in Ennis, for today - and lo, The Father is on there, also in the afternoon. This is one that did really well in the Oscars: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins, who plays the title role of a man developing dementia (the theme of the weekend, evidently), and a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Olivia Coleman, who plays his daughter. Also nominated for best picture, best film editing, and best production design. Sounds worth seeing - again, I was the first person to have booked, and this time they've blocked out six seats around me! I'll say something for social distancing - it'll make it a lot less annoying to be in the cinema when others in the audience are eating popcorn! I see four more seats are booked now, with all seats immediately around them blocked. More expensive than yesterday's, and with a booking fee, but hey..

Anyway, with nothing booked for the rest of this afternoon, I haven't left yet. And with nothing really on telly, I turned to the St. Patrick's Festival website again, for something quick to watch. Next up was Ballad Tours Dublin - in which a young chap leads us to various historic sites around Dublin, providing inspiration for some historic ballads.

It's quite atmospheric, some nice shots of Dublin, and he's a decent singer. But he's not on his own. No, he's accompanied by a couple of papier maché characters - a seagull with a strong Dublin accent, and later, Humpty Dumpty. Perhaps he felt lonely. Well, if you can get over the running commentary from this pair, it's a decent watch.

I'll head in soon - happily, town parking is free on Sundays. Might check out Supermac's after the film. Now, that's somewhere I really haven't been in ages - in fact, I don't think I've been since I moved to London! (It's not in the UK.) Jeez, but I used to love their cheeseburgers.. I'll see how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment