Tuesday 6 July 2021

Film: When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Well, it's not that there wasn't anything on tv tonight, but what there was was underwhelming. I wasn't tired enough to go to sleep yet. And I really wanted to check out what other horror films were on Amazon Prime. So I had a trawl through. One thing I do NOT recommend is just looking through the "horror" category - there's just too much there. I ended up going back to the online lists that have done the sorting for me.

And what I found there was When a Stranger Calls (1979). This starts with a horror trope so classic that it's become an urban legend - a young, female babysitter, alone in the house with the kids, keeps getting these freaky phone calls, telling her to check on the kids (who are asleep upstairs). Unnerved, she finally calls the police, who tell her that they'll put a trace on the phone the next time he calls - when they call her back, they tell her.. that the calls are being made from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

This film has the caller as a lunatic, who's locked away in a mental institution, then does a Michael Myers and escapes, returning to plague the young girl he wanted to kill before. There's an underwhelming chase sequence in the middle, but the film is incredibly strong at beginning and end, as the killer hides in the shadows, whispering threats, and you don't know where the danger is coming from. Truly terrifying - by the end, I wanted to hide myself..

For Saturday, the St. Patrick's Festival website will still be there, if required..

No comments:

Post a Comment