Sunday 7 February 2021

Series: Undone (Season 1, Episodes 1-3)

Well, yesterday saw another Amazon Prime email - I guess they're weekly, never paid attention before. And so it is that my plan for today was to try Undone, an animated series about a young woman who, after a car crash, experiences a weird new reality.. Animation, of course, makes it a lot easier for the creators to realise their vision, here.

And with lots of sport on tv this afternoon, off I went, and got three episodes under my belt. It's quite cool animation - rotoscoping is used, which is the tracing of live-action video, to give a more realistic effect. The acting is good, the lead character personable - and the plot is getting slowly weirder. Starts with her life pretty much falling apart - in her own head, anyway; to the external observer, it would seem to be going pretty ok. Well, she ends up in this car crash, and starts seeing her dead father. By Episode 3, he's telling her that there was something suspicious about his death, and she should investigate. Turns out he was also a professor of theoretical physics, with a particular interest in time travel, so it seems she can hop back and forth in time, with him as a guide.

Yep, interesting enough to stick with. I like her, she's sarcastic enough to make it interesting, and the plot could get more interesting yet. I love the skewing of time - you could write a thesis on all the weirdness, like when she runs into herself in a hospital corridor. (Later on, we see the same scene from the perspective of the "other her".) Ooh, and in a flashback to Upload - Kevin Bigley, who in that was the hero's pal in the afterlife, shows up here as the hero's brother-in-law-to-be.

And on Saturday - the Crick Crack Club is back! with a show for Valentine's Day, entitled This Thing Called Love, where a bunch of performers will entertain us with stories appropriate to the weekend's theme! Great - it's been months since I had any storytelling. I guess, for the start of it, I'll just have to split my attention with the National Lottery draw, which my mother would never miss..

No comments:

Post a Comment