Sunday 26 July 2020

Musical: The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals

Today wasn't showing anything on Meetup that appealed - so I thought I might catch up with something that Up in the Cheap Seats watched on Friday. The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals is available for free on YouTube - and is, indeed, a musical.

Ah jeez, I liked musicals till I saw this! Honestly, I had to bail (very) early - I was so sick of it. To be fair, the singing is excellent-  but oh, the inanity of the characters when they're not singing. The guy of the title is the most sane person in it. And dear Lord, where did they get the crowd?! Doesn't take much to make them laugh. Great numbers - but dumb, dumb, dumb. Uch. Watchable if that's your thing - it isn't mine. Much rather be watching The Fall - which is getting more and more interesting, in Season 3.

Very excited about Saturday though - The Old Vic has taken to streaming shows live in camera (so, played to an empty theatre). And coming up next is Three Kings - a one-man show with Andrew Scott! Showing from Wednesday to Saturday, it replicates a live theatre show, in that you have to attend at the scheduled time - so the only show I can make is the Saturday matinée. For which I snatched a ticket asap! Caveat - despite the different ticket prices, the view is the same for everyone - it's just a question of how much of a donation you feel like making. They're supposed to send me a Zoom link, shortly beforehand - oh, and these are non-transferable, you can only use the link on one device. But boy, do I love Andrew Scott..

No comments:

Post a Comment