Saturday 20 June 2020

Film: Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

One of this evening's films on telly was Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. Which, again, I never saw, so I determined to see it this time.

It zips back and forth in time, telling the tale of Annette Bening and Jamie Bell, both actors who fall for each other despite the age difference. Short story - it's a volatile relationship, she's quite the diva on occasion and quite sensitive about her age, and then she gets cancer. He's from Liverpool, and she gets it into her head that she needs to go there to recover. So - FFS - she moves herself in with his family, who end up helping him to care for her. Honestly, you can't account for these film stars!

Quite honestly, I just saved you from watching it. It really made no impression on me whatsoever. I found her character annoying, he was the only one who seemed to be taking the relationship seriously, his family are almost cardboard characters. We know she's dying for the entire film, so it's no shock, and I found no emotional pull in this whatsoever. Should have started as a tv movie - thank goodness I didn't pay money to see it. And at least my curiosity is satisfied.

Tomorrow, 
Up in the Cheap Seats is watching The Hired Man - too late in the day for me, so I'm thinking of watching it earlier. Who knows when I'll get to a Meetup again..?

No comments:

Post a Comment