Friday 9 November 2018

Concert: U2 (Éire) #3

Met my companion again for brunch today- on the most miserable, rainy day I've seen in years. Which was an added incentive to stay in the hotel. The food isn't terrific in general, but they do have a good carvery. Plus, it was a chance to use the €5 voucher in my room. And my cottage pie was very moreish- she also cleaned her plate of chicken in tomato and mozzarella sauce. A nice sauvignon blanc.. two for me, since it was still lashing outside. 

Thing was, they don't do desserts. So I said, let's brave the elements and find somewhere that does. I did a Google search, and came up with somewhere I should have thought of on my own- we'd passed Il Valentino, an Italian cafe, on Tuesday. It's only a five minute walk. 

We nearly drowned en route, and arrived like sodden rats. I had an eclair, she had black forest gateau and tea. We found a nice seat at the end, where I decided to have a second eclair to keep the first company- they have white chocolate drizzled on top, you know. Then I saw someone with a hot chocolate, so I had one. And a second. They were getting to know us..! A lovely spot to while away the time - the view would also be excellent on a less appalling day.

She went home after that. My plan was to get a meal before the show, but of course I was now stuffed, so took myself back to the hotel before setting off- by which time the rain, mercifully, had nearly stopped. 


At the 3Arena, my mobile ticket wouldn't scan - until he fiddled with the brightness on my phone. I had gone good and early, in the interests of getting a hot dog. Well, I did, and it was lovely- when the two girls in front of me finally finished with the condiments! Mind you, an American sitting in front of me got one much closer to time- they must have increased the stock. 

My seat was the closest I'll have had for the Dublin concerts. Actually, I remember not getting a ticket for this in the first sale, and having to depend on an early ticket drop. I ended up in the second row from the front.. and delighted I wasn't in the first row. I'd forgotten they're not allowed to stand, for reasons of health and safety! Poor things. 


setlist

  1. The Blackout
  2. Lights of Home
  3. I Will Follow
  4. Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet) /Patti Smith's Gloria (snippet)
  5. Beautiful Day
  6. Dirty Day
  7. Zoo Station
  8. The Fly
  9. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
  10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
  11. (Intermission - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)
  12. Elevation
  13. Vertigo / The Jean Genie (snippet)
  14. Even Better Than The Real Thing
  15. Hall of Mirrors (snippet) / Acrobat
  16. The Showman (Little More Better) (snippet) / You're The Best Thing About Me
  17. Summer Of Love
  18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  19. Get Out Of Your Own Way
  20. New Year's Day
  21. City Of Blinding Lights

  22. encore(s):
  23. Women of the World (snippet) / One /Invisible (snippet)
  24. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
  25. 13 (There Is A Light) / The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) (snippet)

Doesn't matter how many times I see it, that opening is phenomenal. As usual, nobody in my section was standing before I Will Follow- well, they were standing in the next section over, so up I got, and my whole section followed. With the honourable exception of the row in front, of course. It had been predictable, my row were practically exploding in their seats. Again, you're welcome. And again, the view of the floor for that song was epic.

Gloria growled like a wild beast- Bono as lion tamer, anyone? I have to hand it to Dublin in general- this year, they really have been the best audiences. 

Ooh, but we had a lovely surprise in store- Bono mentioned his father on Tuesday, and they've obviously been thinking about it. We had the most incredible video presentation for Dirty Day, a song I haven't heard in years.. and centred around all of their fathers. They haven't been slacking, the last two days. 

The guy beside me was obviously a huge fan - it was just unfortunate that his girlfriend was coming back with beers just at the point of the "I'm fucking Bono!" speech, when the whole place goes nuts. Out went his arm, the beer went flying all over the floor and the guy in front. Who was most understanding. Occupational hazard. Actually, the only thing that pissed me off all night was the steady stream of people going in and out. Ah well.. at least my coat, already drenched from the rain, escaped another dousing. 

Famous people in the audience tonight included "Amy and Brian" - Amy Huberman and her husband, Brian O'Driscoll, I guess. Mr. MacPhisto highlighted the border issue as rife with intolerance and bigotry. Finally, during One, people were blowing up red, heart-shaped balloons with lights in them- throwing them off the balcony and around the standing crowd. That's new. The girlfriend of that huge fan did one - accidentally burst the second though, giving the little girl on my other side a fright, and attracting the attention of the usher. Who had enough to do, making sure that no-one in the front row stood. His job got progressively harder. 

As usual, we finished with 13 - Bono lifting the oversized lightbulb from the miniature house, eliciting a gasp from the little girl, who'd seen an amazing show. And as he went off, again he broke into The Miracle.

Hands down, Dublin takes the crown this year. I'm giving this second place, after Tuesday night's and ahead of Manchester. All I heard on my way out was praise - "Fucking brilliant", "Best ever". No complaints here about the lack of tracks from The Joshua Tree.

Last U2 concert of the tour for me tomorrow. What will it bring? I fly back on Sunday, exhausted, and finished with U2 concerts for the year! Sadly. What will I do with myself if/when they stop touring..?

On Monday, I booked for Macbeth, at the Wanamaker Playhouse. And then Let's Do This (LDT) finally posted that date for the Shirt Tail Stompers at Wilton's - well, I couldn't miss that! Funnily enough, London Social Detours have now advertised the same thing (and are charging more, as usual) - there's a terrible rivalry between the groups, with the leader of the latter group thinking she has prior claim to the floorspace. Sparks might fly. Meantime, anyone want a spare ticket for Macbeth?

On Tuesday, we have our monthly team outing - probably just the two of us, but hey.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at last for Love Lies Bleeding, at the Print Room at the Coronet. Got my ticket from London Theatre Direct.

On Thursday, I'm going to try the Seven Deadly Sins Pub Naughty History TourWalking in London again. And it being a Funzing event (like all of Walking in London's) I scoured my old Funzing discount codes, and discovered that Funzing_Fb20 seems to be working again - for all of them I've recently booked! So, a 20% discount - better than any recently offered on their Facebook page. Then I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 19th, News of the Strange, from the Crick Crack Club, at Soho Theatre. The club does have a Meetup group, but it seems to have gone dormant, and is no longer advertising upcoming events. Not that that stops the organiser from attending - I'm sure I saw her at a recent event! I've actually asked whether they're now defunct - we'll see whether I get a response. None yet.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter - Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre. Two long ones on this occasion - this is Programme FourMoonlight & Night School.

On the 21st, back at last with The London Jazz Meetup, who are off to the London Jazz Festival for a concert by the Faraj Suleiman Quartet at King's Place. UK premiere, apparently!

On the 22nd, with UITCS at the Garrick for Don Quixote. The only cheap tickets left for this were terrible, so I went a bit upmarket. A bit - I'm still behind a pillar!

On the 23rd, I'm on a Paranormal Activity Tour - ooh! Now, for this one, we get ghost-hunting equipment, which could make it interesting - I don't fancy the dowsing rods, myself, but we'll see. Walking in London, again. Discounted, again. And this was after my loyalty discount - so I got it at better than half price! which is good, considering the price.

On the 24th, I'm off on my own to see A Small Place, at the Gate.

On the 25th, back at last to Winter Wonderland! That evening, I'm off to Cirque Berserk - an annual tradition for me. The latest show is the cheapest, so that's the one I booked.

On the 26th, I'm back with UITCS for Programme Three of Pinter at the Pinter - Landscape / A Kind of Alaska / Monologue.

On the 27th, I'm going to see Company, by Sondheim, at the Gielgud. No tickets available for the upper levels on the official site - they must all have been bought up by resellers! Cheapest I found was with OfficialLondonTheatre, run by See Tickets.

On the 28th, I'm with Walking in London again for the Haunted London Pub Tour

On the 29th, I'm back with UITCS at the National for Hadestown. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 3rd, I'm back to the National for I'm Not Running.

On the 4th, I'm off to the Bush, for Drip.

On the 5th, LDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions (both Funzing) advertised a "Winterville" talk on The Science of Santa, where we get the scientific explanation of how he does it. Taking place at The Windmill. However, seems they meant the day before, when of course I'm busy. So instead I'm going to True West, with Kit Harington, at the Vaudeville. Cheapest tickets from the venue. 

On the 6th, Hazel of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsLondon Guided Walks (and, indeed, Walking in London) has a Christmas Carol Tour. Now, the last two events I booked with her turned out to be no-shows.. the first might not have been her fault, as she was advertising someone else's event, but the second, she just missed the ball on and left three of us standing on a street corner. Whether this event happens is anyone's guess! Now, it's technically more expensive if you book on Funzing - but if you have my discount ;-) it comes down to the same price she charges on her own site, without the booking fee! So I did it that way. But then Henning, with the London European Club, advertised a Happy Xmaths evening at Imperial College, the same night! Festive fun for maths geeks. Plus it's free - you just have to register with Eventbrite. I thought it'd be great to get back with this group. And since I booked the walk with Funzing, I've cancelled and will get a full refund. And I feel no sadness at missing an evening with Hazel, after what's been happening. But gee, this evening is proving to be one of the more popular- now a colleague has booked it for his leaving do. So I'm now going to that instead. Nibbles arranged at The Enterprise.  

On the 7th, back with UITCS at the Royal Court, for The Cane. Got the very last ticket, phew!

On the 8th, with them again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer.

On the 9th of next month, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, an afternoon of Sufi legend.

On the 10th, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson!

On the 11th, I'm going with North London Friends to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems!

The 12th is our office Christmas party, but LDT has now advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. 

On the 13th, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th of next month, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment