Monday 5 November 2018

Concert: U2 (Éire) #1

Today, I'm back up to DublinU2 again, dont'cha know? Staying in the Clayton again, which is a hop, skip and jump from the 3Arena, where there are concerts today and tomorrow. Would you believe, I spent 10 months clicking on the Ticketmaster website to see whether they had a ticket drop, so I could get a ticket to tonight's concert - the only Dublin one I didn't have. Would you believe further, on Tuesday I randomly clicked on it again, on the way to do something else - and there they were. You just have to persist. Within the next 10 minutes, I had a lower-tier ticket! Well, my return train ticket was for today - might be a rush across town, but I figured I should do it.

It was quite a rush to get everything done at my mother's in time to get to Sixmilebridge, where I leave my car and could catch the train. But I managed it. I arrived in plenty of time to walk to the station - where there's only one platform, and trains are infrequent enough that you can automatically tell the destination of each. Anyway, there's only one line, and only two directions for the train to be going in..

I was worried about the five minute changeover time in Limerick, but not only were we running early, but it turned out that my changeover was just across platform. On the Dublin train finally, I had a reservation, but the display seemed to be broken, hardly ever displaying names. So I just sat somewhere more convenient, charged my phone, and dozed. I might have had something to eat, but the dining car was at the other end, and there was no trolley, although it'd been advertised. Funnily enough, the WiFi had been excellent until I got to this final stage of the journey. 

In Dublin, the barrier didn't like my ticket- possibly because the inspector punched it on the outbound journey. Or maybe it was just that it hadn't been activated electronically. Luckily, there was a human alternative, who waved us through without trouble. The Luas pulled in as I was fumbling for my Leap card. Happily, that didn't take too long, and I had a quick and comfortable ride out to the docklands, and a short walk to the hotel, across the Samuel Beckett bridge.



Glad to hear The Ferryman is still blasting out U2 songs on concert nights! Time enough to refresh, and I set off on the just slightly longer walk to the venue. More U2 from cycle rickshaw drivers.


Crowds, crowds.. and would you believe, they made us go right around the back for the seated entrance! A huge queue meant it took about 15 minutes to enter after I arrived. Pat down, but no check of small bags. It was interesting, having a mobile ticket- first time I've done that for a rock concert. But I wasn't given the option before- I think it was because I booked on a mobile, because the laptop was off when I discovered that tickets were available. Anyway, it worked out better, since I haven't had access to a printer. 

Inside, finally, at 7.40, and the only hot food available was popcorn - they'd already sold out of hot dogs. I bought a packet of Minstrels (same price as hot dogs!), and made my way to my seat. Which was only down a couple of rows from the stairs, so I wasn't too bad. I'd forgotten how small the 3Arena is in comparison with others- they can't fit the standard stage configuration, and have to squish the e-stage in the middle of the catwalk!


You're practically overlooking the whole floor here- it's like a cauldron of bodies. Overheard the people behind me, who also all just got their tickets last week- how lucky were we! I was to be very happy with the crazy bunch of Americans in front of me, who were more than happy to stay standing for most of the concert- indeed, my section was great from that perspective; not all were. Just before the show started, there was a burst of applause to my right, carried on to the floor- Michael D. and his wife had come, and were sat in the front row of the section beside me. He's a lovely chap.. and the Americans were very impressed. He wasn't the only famous person in the audience tonight- apparently, Woody Harrelson was over the side somewhere. 

Speaking of Americans, one had seen the tour in San Francisco, and was showing pictures to the others.. it looked quite different, and I wonder what they made of tonight's performance- particularly the EU bits.

setlist


  1. The Blackout
  2. Lights of Home
  3. I Will Follow
  4. Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet) /Patti Smith's Gloria (snippet)
  5. Beautiful Day
  6. Zoo Station
  7. The Fly
  8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
  9. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
  10. (Intermission - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)
  11. Elevation
  12. Vertigo / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
  13. Even Better Than The Real Thing
  14. Hall of Mirrors (snippet) / Acrobat
  15. The Showman (Little More Better) (snippet) / You're The Best Thing About Me
  16. Summer Of Love
  17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
  18. Get Out Of Your Own Way / The Boys Are Back In Town (snippet)
  19. New Year's Day
  20. City Of Blinding Lights

  21. encore(s):
  22. Women of the World (snippet) / One /Invisible (snippet)
  23. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
  24. 13 (There Is A Light)

There was a highly excitable teen beside me, on tenterhooks for the start. Which was sweet. The show, of course, had to be modified slightly because of the positioning of the e-stage- Bono didn't come to that during Lights of Home, but returned instead to the i-stage. Similarly, for the second half, the band came from the i-stage rather than exiting from the vidiwall. And, of course, for 13, Bono had less far to walk.. he still exited from a staircase at the end of the catwalk, though. 

I Will Follow was the one to get the whole arena on its feet - and wow, it was one of those times I wished I was in the habit of taking videos at concerts, the energy on the floor was so spectacular! 

I was well impressed with the audience during Stay - I hadn't imagined that was one they'd know the words to! The whole show was a demonstration of a great crowd.. I'm not surprised that, as they took their bows, Bono mouthed "bravo". I'm moving this to third in the list of concerts so far this year - believe me, that's beating some stiff competition.

Mr. McPhisto had a mention for Michael D. And a quip that he, himself, might take himself off for a round of golf in Doonbeg..

The plea, as in Belfast, was for the people on either side of the border to trust each other, regardless what happens with that border. And when he got to talking about refugees, he remarked how, once, America was the country the whole world looked to - now, they were looking tp us for an example. 

Nice to hear a bit of The Boys Are Back in Town..  And it's terrific to see the audience putting in as much effort as he does- I read in an interview yesterday how he puts so much of himself into concerts that he's quite disoriented when he comes off. At least tonight, he gets to sleep in his own bed.

Coming out, we had to give way to the President. Didn't take long to get back- and all the way, I couldn't get the closing song, 13, out of my head. It's such a beautiful ending, it brings tears to my eyes. Even if the oversized lightbulb did get stuck tonight, as he took it out of the miniature house. Anyway, it was better than the tortured rendition of Where the Streets Have No Name, by a busker I passed. The Ferryman, however, had given up on U2 for the night. 



Back in the hotel, I have a lovely, spacious room- and an ice machine, down the hall. Pity the vending machine doesn't work. And somewhere nearby, someone is snoring so loudly that it sounds as though they're keeping an angry bear in the room. Combine that with a second floor room that does nothing to keep out traffic noise, and I am so glad I have good earplugs!

Doing it again tomorrow. On Wednesday, I fly back to London (BA) - purely so I can work on Thursday, before flying back here that night! Was supposed to be Cityjet, but they've now ended their flight schedule - so now I'm going Ryanair. The genial chap at reception said I could check in for that as I was checking out on Wednesday! Same hotel, same venue, same band - on Friday and Saturday. I fly back on Sunday, exhausted, and finished with U2 concerts for the year!

Next Monday, I booked for Macbeth, at the Wanamaker Playhouse. And then Let's Do This (LDT) finally posted that date for the Shirt Tail Stompers at Wilton's - well, I couldn't miss that! Funnily enough, London Social Detours have now advertised the same thing (and are charging more, as usual) - there's a terrible rivalry between the groups, with the leader of the latter group thinking she has prior claim to the floorspace. Sparks might fly. Meantime, anyone want a spare ticket for Macbeth?

On the 13th, we have our monthly team outing - probably just the two of us, but hey.

On the 14th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at last for Love Lies Bleeding, at the Print Room at the Coronet. Got my ticket from London Theatre Direct.

On the 15th, I'm going to try the Seven Deadly Sins Pub Naughty History TourWalking in London again. And it being a Funzing event (like all of Walking in London's) I scoured my old Funzing discount codes, and discovered that Funzing_Fb20 seems to be working again - for all of them I've recently booked! So, a 20% discount - better than any recently offered on their Facebook page. Then I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 19th, News of the Strange, from the Crick Crack Club, at Soho Theatre. The club does have a Meetup group, but it seems to have gone dormant, and is no longer advertising upcoming events. Not that that stops the organiser from attending - I'm sure I saw her at a recent event! I've actually asked whether they're now defunct - we'll see whether I get a response. None yet.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter - Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre. Two long ones on this occasion - this is Programme FourMoonlight & Night School.

On the 21st, back at last with The London Jazz Meetup, who are off to the London Jazz Festival for a concert by the Faraj Suleiman Quartet at King's Place. UK premiere, apparently!

On the 22nd, with UITCS at the Garrick for Don Quixote. The only cheap tickets left for this were terrible, so I went a bit upmarket. A bit - I'm still behind a pillar!

On the 23rd, I'm on a Paranormal Activity Tour - ooh! Now, for this one, we get ghost-hunting equipment, which could make it interesting - I don't fancy the dowsing rods, myself, but we'll see. Walking in London, again. Discounted, again. And this was after my loyalty discount - so I got it at better than half price! which is good, considering the price.

On the 24th, I'm off on my own to see A Small Place, at the Gate.

On the 25th, back at last to Winter Wonderland! That evening, I'm off to Cirque Berserk - an annual tradition for me. The latest show is the cheapest, so that's the one I booked.

On the 26th, I'm back with UITCS for Programme Three of Pinter at the Pinter - Landscape / A Kind of Alaska / Monologue.

On the 27th, I'm going to see Company, by Sondheim, at the Gielgud. No tickets available for the upper levels on the official site - they must all have been bought up by resellers! Cheapest I found was with OfficialLondonTheatre, run by See Tickets.

On the 28th, I'm with Walking in London again for the Haunted London Pub Tour

On the 29th, I'm back with UITCS at the National for Hadestown. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 3rd, I'm back to the National for I'm Not Running.

On the 4th, I'm off to the Bush, for Drip.

On the 5th of next month, LDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions (both Funzing) advertised a "Winterville" talk on The Science of Santa, where we get the scientific explanation of how he does it. Taking place at The Windmill. However, seems they meant the day before, when of course I'm busy. So instead I'm going to True West, with Kit Harington, at the Vaudeville. Cheapest tickets from the venue. 

On the 6th, Hazel of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsLondon Guided Walks (and, indeed, Walking in London) has a Christmas Carol Tour. Now, the last two events I booked with her turned out to be no-shows.. the first might not have been her fault, as she was advertising someone else's event, but the second, she just missed the ball on and left three of us standing on a street corner. Whether this event happens is anyone's guess! Now, it's technically more expensive if you book on Funzing - but if you have my discount ;-) it comes down to the same price she charges on her own site, without the booking fee! So I did it that way. But then Henning, with the London European Club, advertised a Happy Xmaths evening at Imperial College, the same night! Festive fun for maths geeks - sign me up. Plus it's free - you just have to register with Eventbrite. And it'll be great to get back with this group. And since I booked the walk with Funzing, I've cancelled and will get a full refund. And I feel no sadness at missing an evening with Hazel, after what's been happening.

On the 7th, back with UITCS at the Royal Court, for The Cane. Got the very last ticket, phew!

On the 8th, with them again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer.

On the 9th, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, an afternoon of Sufi legend.

On the 10th, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson!

On the 11th, I'm going with North London Friends to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems!

The 12th is our office Christmas party, but LDT has now advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. 

On the 13th, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th of next month, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty the spotlight, this will be a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment