Sunday 27 August 2017

Prom 56: The Bohemian Reformation & Day Trip to Bath

Yesterday, after a long and welcome lie-in, I was back to the Proms for the first time in years! Funnily enough, it was inspired by a Meetup group - Gothic Requiem London (!). This was the "Gothic Prom", you see - all the composers are Czech (Bohemian). Now, I'm no Goth - but the Proms sound like a great idea. So I booked.

Damn internet was giving problems all day (at home - I didn't go into the office), and I was in doubt of being able to look up directions. But it worked just in time, and off I set to catch the #10. Just got there in time to catch the one before the one I needed - always good! Particularly as there was another damned diversion - this one didn't affect where I got off, but did add some time to the journey. Although I'd still have made it, I was glad to be early and not rushing. En route, we passed the pop-up Marble Arch Theatre - with its bright signage, very hard to miss. And along the way, I was entertained by the conversation between two American-sounding women behind me, having an argument; one thought that Charles could hardly help falling in love with Camilla, the other said nonsense, he should never have done that to that poor girl, who didn't know what she was getting into! As she sighed, "We'll never agree". The argument that runs and runs. Well, we were in Kensington, I suppose..

You couldn't miss the bulk of the Albert Hall as we passed, so it was easy to know where to get off. And, handily enough, my door was the nearest to us. The lift was just heading up as I came in, but was a bit full - and anyway, of all venues, this is the one where I least mind taking the stairs. Despite the fact that I was in the circle, somehow the stairs here are more manageable than most - probably because of the extremely short flights. Few of the seats around me were occupied when I arrived - indeed, very few were taken up later on either! Someone expressed surprise at that, but as I said, well, it's a sunny bank holiday weekend.. I guess people had other things to do.


I wasn't familiar with any of the pieces on the programme, but was with a few of the composers - and a rousing repertoire it was! A soaring, dramatic score comprised works by Smetana, Bohuslav MartinuDvořákJanáček, and Josef Suk. A choir opened the evening with a stirring Hussite chorale (composer unknown) - but after a most thrilling evening, it was the last piece that blew me away. I'd never before heard that humungous organ - the one that takes up an entire wall - being played, but sure enough, there was an organist, looking tiny at the base of it. As I remarked to the person beside me, worth coming for that alone! I bet the Goths in the audience were well pleased.

As for me, I could've murdered an ice cream - but they were all the way down at ground level, and it didn't seem worth the trek. The jugs of water left at intervals in the corridor, beside piles of plastic cups, were much appreciated, though. And afterwards, I was glad I'd brought something warm to put on - the evenings are cool. Catching a bus, I was flummoxed by the size of the crowd at the stop.. happily, most of them got on the three buses that came before mine.

Flipping internet still wasn't working when I got home, so I couldn't blog. Today, I went on a day trip to Bath, with Carpe Diem: booked while I was in Barcelona, last month. My first ever with them, I see! Tarnation, an early start - ah well. I set the alarm - fortunately, because I don't think I'd have woken.. We were to meet outside the Doubletree by Hilton at Victoria at 8:30am, for a 9am departure. Well, I didn't want to be late, and the bus would've been pushing it - instead, I took the Tube from Oxford Circus. And a quiet Sunday morning it was, as I strolled there - a cool enough start that I was glad I'd brought a coat. Got noisier when I got to Regent Street.

Arriving safely at Victoria, I immediately got lost. Street maps were hardly more help than Google Maps - if you aren't familiar with this maze of streets, the place is impossible! Anyway, after a couple of wrong turns, and about 10 minutes of searching, it was with some relief that I saw the hotel - under the circumstances, I'm rather glad I didn't take the bus! There were a few women already waiting - today was all women (apart from the driver). And we had gotten there before the organiser. In the end, there were a couple of no-shows - most of us had shown up for 8:30.

Our minibus had comfy seats - if a bit snug; not recommended for those over 5'6'' (my height). Very tight seatbelts too - when someone later complained that hers had given her a sore shoulder, the driver offered to massage it, to much hilarity.. Anyway, we headed west out of London, and it was really nostalgic to pass areas I'd known for years, while I was based out here. We even passed my old office - I saw they had bunting in the windows! After we left London, I settled back, and napped for most of the journey - just as well, as it was motorway, which is never interesting. Woke myself with a prominent snort - ah well. I did feel most refreshed.

We were dropped on the edge of Bath centre, and strictly admonished to be back there for 6. Whereupon our organiser - chirpy, obviously born to do this - asked us what we wanted to do.. I don't think many of us really knew.. and led us in to show us where the free guided tour would start at 2, which was just beside the famous Roman Baths after which the city is named. Justifiably, this seems to be the premier tourist attraction in Bath - a sign in the queueing lane said there was an expected wait of 10 minutes to buy tickets. Our organiser said that was the shortest she'd seen! Sure enough, later in the day, the waiting time had increased to 45 minutes.. I think one of our group went in; I passed.

No, I was much more interested in the abbey, just beside.


More photos here. Unfortunately, it being Sunday, they were closed for much of the day, so instead I schlepped up the town, looking for something more substantial to eat than I guessed was being offered in the cafes round about. It was about lunchtime. Jeez, it's hard to find restaurants here! Plenty of trumpet-playing buskers, all right. Anyway, while I was doing that, I ran into a section of our group, who were headed to the Jane Austen Centre - so I did that instead.


The cash machines were out of order - cue some panic among some group members. Normally, I'd have been the same - it's just lucky I happened to get out some money on Friday, in anticipation of needing it in Cafe Milano (which I didn't). We decided first off to head for the tearooms, on the top floor. And Lordy, everyone who works in the centre wears Regency costume! D' you know, I was immediately reminded of the film, Austenland, where a woman obsessed with Jane Austen travels to a theme park whose guests have to dress in costume all the time..

Well, costumed servers shoved a couple of tables together for us, and we took our seats. Service wasn't what you'd call fast - but the chocolate fudge cake was light, and went down well, and the cold drinks were served in, eh, jam jars. With straws. Not sure what the Austen connection is there, really, but never mind. Your ticket to the exhibition entitles you to a free souvenir guide and talk, and 10% off in the gift shop and tearoom. And for goodness' sake, this guy is everywhere:


Afterwards, we repaired downstairs to the waiting room, where we watched an introductory film until it was time for the live talk. By the time that was over, and she led us to the basement for the exhibition, the next group was ready - talks are every 20 minutes, and they seemed to be doing a booming trade! I do have to say, the exhibition was a cracker. They have thought of literally everything - after you read all the explanatory panels, they have a wardrobe of clothes you can try on, so you can take a picture with - well - Mr. Darcy again. And they even have quill pens, which you can try to write with, on notepaper headed with a Jane Austen cameo.. Austen fans will love this place!

By now, it was time to be heading back for the guided tour. With a few minutes to spare, and the sun beating down, I realised I'd need a hat or I'd be in trouble. Indeed, a young woman just behind me actually fainted, just as our tour began - I imagine it was the heat. Anyway, I got a cheap "London" cap in one of the adjacent gift shops, which was a godsend.

I doubt that was included in the film they were making today. There were four tour guides, for a massive crowd - I think each group ended up with about 40. We got a charming Northern Irish fellow called Roy, who, when we were liable to get lost, signalled us with his white panama hat. We started off in the elegant Pump Room, then traipsed the streets, some elegant, some not, as he explained to us the highlights of the city he's called home for nearly 60 years!


It was a terrific walk - we weren't as appreciative as we might have been, given the heat. We were also left in no doubt - by the guides themselves - that the walks are completely free; not even tipping is allowed. Highly recommended.

Afterwards, I wanted to go to the abbey again - and again it was shut. And I was starving, and frankly exhausted after the walk. With something of a better knowledge of the town now, I headed in search of a restaurant - and stumbled across the Brasserie Blanc. Practically empty inside, so I had no trouble getting a table - and service was efficient, and briskly friendly. Starters were a bit posh for me, but I ended up having the most gorgeous Sunday Roast sirloin, with a lovely wine. Most restorative. And for dessert, a lemon sponge, with lemon drizzle and lemon sauce. Very nice - although the fact that it was served hot made me think of nothing so much as Lemsip. ;-)

Back towards the coach then - and the abbey was open for visitors! So I nipped in, and ran around taking photos:


And so, eventually home, taking a detour through Swindon to avoid trouble on the M4. And I napped again. Boy, were we all glad to get home! And I wasn't the only one to feel, once we entered city limits, that I was home.. as someone said, the countryside is all right for a short break: but to live there..! Anyway, a great day, and a lovely group of people. And just up the road from the hotel, I caught a bus to take me straight home.

Tomorrow, the organiser of Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts promised Helen and me free tickets to a treasure hunt she was organising that day - in recompense for that treasure hunt, not run by her but advertised by her, where the organisers never showed, and instead marked us as no-shows. However, the event tomorrow still hasn't been advertised, and what with severe engineering works at Waterloo for the whole month, Helen's not sure she can make it at all. We shall see. Mary and I were also thinking of going to the pictures - watch this space.

On Tuesday, I'm off to see Five Guys Named Moe, at the Marble Arch Theatre. From the Box Office provided the best deal on this occasion. And the organiser of last Thursday's event is keen to hear my feedback - of the venue as well as of the show - as she's taking a group there next month.

On Wednesday, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, at the Apollo (although booking is with the Young Vic), with Sienna MillerColm Meaney, and nudity. Cheapest tickets this time were with LoveTheatre. And then, London Literary Walks advertised one. So, instead, I'm off on The Michelin Walk.

On Thursday, back with London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night, for a Funzing talk. This time, the talk is entitled "Can You Trust the Media?", and is given by Annie Machon, who gave an interesting talk last month on Russian Hacking. Another 30% discount. I just wish she'd use some visual aids.. At the Lighthouse again, terrific. :-/ Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 4th September, I'm finally going to see Dreamgirls, at the Savoy, courtesy of Amazon Tickets.

On the 5th September, I was back with the Scarlet Ladies for a talk on Generation Sex. Until Let's Do This advertised a concert that sounds really good.. at the Apples & Pears Bar. Hey, I do allow myself to change if something sounds better.. and as I say, the Scarlet Ladies are not my kind of ladies.

On the 6th September, I'm with another new group - North London Friends - for an interview with Michael Palin, at the Knowledge Centre Theatre at the British Library. I was really torn, though - the London European Club is off to an early music concert the same night, and I do love that - but had already booked this, and it is Michael Palin. Hey-ho..

On the 7th September, I was back with North London Friends, and another talk on Fake News - different speaker, mind! This is the Fulbright Commission annual lecture, at the British Library. However, much more attractively, Let's Do This are reviving what used to be a regular Man with the Hat event - we're off to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, for some Vivaldi concertos. With a discount, yet! London Concertante, as usual.

On the 8th September, until the other day I was still technically booked for free comedy in Hammersmith with DiscoverLDN.UK. But, as I say - good atmosphere, but the comedy is usually pretty bad. I was saved - again - by Up in the Cheap Seats, who are off to see Doubt, a Parable, in Southwark Playhouse. Aww.. it's so long since I was there, and I have so many good memories of it from my time with the Man with the Hat!

On the 9th September, Helen and I have our 25km sponsored walk, in aid of Haslemere's Cat Protection Society. We're going as Dick Whittington and his cat, respectively, and the route is the Thames Bridges Trek. You can donate here.. Must try and pick up some decent walking shoes - tomorrow, perhaps?

Which will tire me out nicely, just in time for my flight to Prague the next morning! I'm at a conference there, Sunday to Tuesday. (What a nice company I work for!) Gee, but I love Prague - most beautiful city I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. They're putting me up at a nice hotel too, just down the road.

So, I fly back on the 12th September, and on the 13th I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells, for the Hofesh Schechter Company grand finale.

On the 14th September, I'm at another talk with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - this one, at Southwark Cathedral, is about the River Effra, South London's Secret Spine. Another free Eventbrite event, this is to publicise a book about the subject, and the talk is again given by the author. Another thing that had no tickets, then it did (no notification)! I'm not going to believe any messages about door closures, like the erroneous one I got before. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 18th September, I was off to Showstopper! at the Lyric. Ticket courtesy of From the Box Office again. I have actually seen this before - but, being an improvised musical, it literally is different every time! But you'll never guess - the Crick Crack Club finally announced their autumn schedule last Friday, and now, that night, I'm off to Eaten Father, Eaten Mother by Ben Haggerty. In Soho Theatre, first time in ages.

On the 19th September, back with the Scarlet Ladies, for a talk entitled 100 Women - Their Breasts, Their Stories. Although actually, if I didn't like the other night's, I think I'll hate this - will be looking for alternatives.

On the 20th September, Funzing (same two groups) and Jennifer Rees again - this time, a fun talk about the Psychology of Batman Villains! The first of hers for which I managed to get a 30% discount.. and it's on nice and close to me again. Seems to be a feature of her talks!

On the 21st September, technically, free comedy in Hammersmith - with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom London, and DiscoverLDN.UK. And on the 22nd September, the same - with DiscoverLDN.UK. I rather doubt it though - don't you?

On the 23rd September, I was to do the same, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser!

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on the 24th September, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

On the 25th September, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

On the 26th September, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at The Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On the 27th September, with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 28th September, with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a Revolution. North London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

And on the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment