Sunday 13 August 2017

Film: A Ghost Story

Today, I'd booked with Carpe Diem, who were doing a Cockney Walk. But then, Eventbrite sent me an email of upcoming attractions, and the same day, they were doing a walk on Shakespeare's Southwark, which I find more interesting. I hadn't had to pay for the other one, so I cancelled and booked this instead.

Another beautiful day - warm and sunny. I ate in good time, and caught a bus five minutes earlier than I had to - all was good. We were tootling down the road, and then I checked Google Maps - and saw that my connecting bus was running late. Oh no, I wouldn't make it in time! So I rechecked my route from where I was now, and discovered I could change to another bus. Hopped off at the next stop, and was waiting for the 17. While I was waiting - and sweltering, having overdressed for this unaccustomed heat - I checked the bus map, and saw that it showed the 341 heading the same way. So, when that happened to be the next to come, I took it.

How that map came to be, I have no idea - because the 341 goes absolutely nowhere near London Bridge, where I needed to be, as I realised after a bit. Which makes sense, because it goes to Waterloo! Disaster. I decided that my best plan now was to stay on until the end, then catch the Tube. Of course, what with the hike from bus stop to Tube, and the hike in the Tube station to get to the Jubilee Line - which was longer than the Tube journey itself - oh, and as usual, getting lost outside London Bridge Station (it's been a while since I was at Southwark Cathedral), I reached my destination 10 minutes late.

Well, I scoured the area around the cathedral, pushing through streams of slow-moving tourists: but no matter how I searched, I could find no sign of a guided tour. In my experience of guided tours, they generally have enough to keep them at, or near, the start point for several minutes: so my guess is that I was probably the only one to book, and when I was a no-show, the guide left. I have no phone number for the guide, and couldn't get the Eventbrite site to work, with the iffy internet I've had all weekend: so that was that. (What is with me and Southwark walks..? I never do seem to get to go on them..)

I did get the Meetup app to work, so I could look for alternatives. The flamenco evening in a tapas bar sounded good: but it was with the Dining Lesbians of London, whom I have no intention of joining. and without joining, I can't find out where it is, anyway. So, Plan B turned out to be the old reliable cinema option. However, my film list - a record of what's showing and how good it is - was back at the office! So now, I had to get back there..

Oh my, London was a wasteland for buses today. The simplest option seemed to be the RV1 from the Hop Store. I joined a line of disgruntled-looking young women at the stop - Google Maps, when I got it working, promised a bus in a few minutes. Well, it never materialised - nor did the one after. In all, I stood there for over half an hour. When they decided to leave, I decided they had a point. Consulted Google Maps again - well, I could get the 344 and change. That, it turned out, was on the other side of the road - no problem! There certainly wasn't a fleet of buses waiting to mow me down. Imagine my surprise, a couple of minutes later, when one actually happened along! As I sailed away at last, there was still no sign of a bus at my original bus stop.

So, I got off in the City. As we pulled in, I noticed that the stop I was supposed to catch the number 8 at.. was closed. (Doesn't seem to be, online.) Anyway, I did my regular thing of heading for the next stop down the line. It wasn't encouraging to see a crowd there (in the middle of no tourist attractions whatsoever), and when a 26 happened along.. and the map on the stop said it headed by Charing Cross.. I said that'd do, and hopped on. Heh. No it doesn't. When it turned onto Waterloo Bridge, heading back for Waterloo again.. I got off at the far side of the bridge, and walked all the way back to the office. In all, it took me an hour and a half to get from Southwark to the West End. Believe me, that's beyond the usual margin of usual - I could've walked faster.

So, I checked the film ratings, and best of the bunch was A Ghost Story, playing just up the road, in the Curzon Soho. Best thing about that, of course, was being able to walk..! So, in the meantime, I started the blog, and sated my thirst from the dry streets of London with a fizzy lemon from the fridge. Wandered up the road, and within five minutes was in my seat, watching trailers in a near-empty cinema.

Ah, A Ghost Story is lovely! So, Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara are in a relationship and live together, and early in the film - not a spoiler, really - he's killed in a tragic accident, and spends pretty much the rest of the film wandering about in a sheet with eyeholes in it. Which, in my personal opinion, is an improvement on that great big beard he's grown - but I digress. It's so poignant, that sheet! The eyeholes make it look as though he has great big puppy-dog eyes. And how egalitarian, to show the story from the poor ghost's point of view, as time passes and things change before he wants them to.

As a ghost, he never says a thing, just wanders about mournfully. Staring, mostly - or, you know, throwing things when he gets mad. Naughty poltergeist. I notice he never gets exorcised.. He can communicate - telepathically (in subtitles) - with the ghost next door, whom only he can see - through the window, neither wanting to leave their property. A couple of fascinating ideas are suggested, like how time passes more quickly for ghosts, and why it is they hang around.. It's incredibly sweet and sad, and as one review in the Standard says, Rooney Mara can sure demonstrate grief in the eating of a pie. In fact, much of the film is silent - which I think makes it all the more powerful.

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Camden Fringe: just a single play this time, Dark Room, at the Etcetera Theatre.

On Tuesday, back with FunzingLDN Talks @Night and London Speaks Sessions have a talk called Z List - Dead List! So, a comedian is to regale us with tales of nefarious dead people, and we are to decide who deserves to become a celebrity forever! I got a 30% discount with the code WELLBEING30. Shoreditch, as usual - this one is in the Loves Company Cocktail Bar.

On Wednesday, another Camden Fringe double bill with Up in the Cheap Seats: Ego, in The Lion and Unicorn, and The Trial of Le Singe, in The Water Rats.

On Thursday, I'm headed to a rather interesting talk on Bodysnatching in Southwark! Mary, too.. and it's a funny thing, all the tickets were gone when I first saw it, but then I checked again on spec, and more were available! Lucky. As advertised by Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - but they're not running it, tickets are available on Eventbrite, and are free. I see London Social Detours are going too. Then I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 21st, I'm off to see Jesus Christ Superstar, finally! At the open-air theatre in Regent's Park - again, I hope it doesn't rain.

On the 22nd, my first talk with Scarlet Ladies UK (!). Their stated aim is to abolish the stigma of talking about sex.. so they have a load of talks. This one is about the history of slut-shaming.

On the 23rd, back with Jennifer Rees (and the same two Meetup Funzing groups again), for a talk about the Psychology of Serial Killers. This is at least the third instance of this talk - I was booked for one last month, but had to cancel - it clashed with the trip to the Icebar. The next was sold out - and then I saw this one and booked, at last! It's on the Battersea Barge, of all places! Just a 10% discount this time - I see the latest code for that is crazy_fun.

On the 24th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, a musical about the life of Billie Holiday. Nice and close to me, at Wyndham's. Passed it the other evening, in fact.

On the 25th, back with the same group (!) for yet another Camden Fringe double bill: Boris - the Musical! at the Cockpit again (the London European Club - LEC - are also going to this), and Make Advena Great Again, at Camden People's Theatre. Goodness, that's only a short walk from home..

On the 26th, I'm back to the Proms for the first time in years! Funnily enough, it was inspired by a Meetup group - Gothic Requiem London (!). This is the "Gothic Prom", you see - all the composers are Czech (Bohemian). Now, I'm no Goth - but the Proms sound like a great idea.

On the 27th, I'm off on a day trip to Bath, with Carpe Diem: booked while I was in Barcelona, recently.

On the 28th, the organiser of Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts promised Helen and me free tickets to a treasure hunt she was organising that day - in recompense for that treasure hunt, not run by her but advertised by her, where the organisers never showed, and instead marked us as no-shows. However, the event on the 28th still hasn't been advertised, and what with severe engineering works at Waterloo for the whole month, Helen's not sure she can make it at all. We shall see.

On the 29th, I'm off to see Five Guys Named Moe, at the Marble Arch Theatre - a pop-up, it seems! From the Box Office provided the best deal on this occasion.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, at the Apollo (although booking is with the Young Vic), with Sienna MillerColm Meaney, and nudity. Cheapest tickets this time were with LoveTheatre.

On the 31st, back with those two Funzing groups. This time, the talk is entitled "Can You Trust the Media?", and is given by Annie Machon, who gave an interesting talk last month on Russian Hacking. Another 30% discount. I just wish she'd use some visual aids.. At the Lighthouse again, terrific. :-/ Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 4th September, I'm finally going to see Dreamgirls, at the Savoy, courtesy of Amazon Tickets.

On the 5th September, back with the Scarlet Ladies for a talk on Generation Sex.

On the 6th September, I'm with another new group - North London Friends - for an interview with Michael Palin, at the Knowledge Centre Theatre at the British Library. I was really torn, though - the LEC is off to an early music concert the same night, and I do love that - but had already booked this, and it is Michael Palin. Hey-ho..

On the 7th September, back with North London Friends, and another talk on Fake News - different speaker, mind! This is the Fulbright Commission annual lecture, at the British Library.

On the 8th September, until the other day I was still technically booked for free comedy in Hammersmith with DiscoverLDN.UK. But, as I say - good atmosphere, but the comedy is usually pretty bad. I was saved - again - by Up in the Cheap Seats, who are off to see Doubt, a Parable, in Southwark Playhouse. Aww.. it's so long since I was there, and I have so many good memories of it from my time with the Man with the Hat!

On the 9th September, Helen and I have our 25km sponsored walk, in aid of Haslemere's Cat Protection Society. We're going as Dick Whittington and his cat, respectively, and the route is the Thames Bridges Trek. You can donate here..

Which will tire me out nicely, just in time for my flight to Prague the next morning! I'm at a conference there, Sunday to Tuesday. (What a nice company I work for!) Gee, but I love Prague - most beautiful city I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. They're putting me up at a nice hotel too, just down the road.

So, I fly back on the 12th September, and on the 13th I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells, for the Hofesh Schechter Company grand finale.

On the 14th September, I'm at another talk with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - this one, at Southwark Cathedral, is about the River Effra, South London's Secret Spine. Another free Eventbrite event, this is to publicise a book about the subject, and the talk is again given by the author. Another thing that had no tickets, then it did! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 18th September, I'm off to Showstopper! at the Lyric. Ticket courtesy of From the Box Office again. I have actually seen this before - but, being an improvised musical, it literally is different every time!

On the 19th September, back with the Scarlet Ladies, for a talk entitled 100 Women - Their Breasts, Their Stories.

On the 20th September, Funzing (same two groups) and Jennifer Rees again - this time, a fun talk about the Psychology of Batman Villains! The first of hers for which I managed to get a 30% discount.. and it's on nice and close to me again. Seems to be a feature of her talks!

On the 21st September, technically, free comedy in Hammersmith - with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom London, and DiscoverLDN.UK. And on the 22nd September, the same - with DiscoverLDN.UK. I rather doubt it though - don't you?

On the 23rd September, I was to do the same, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser!

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on the 24th September, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

On the 25th September, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

On the 26th September, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at The Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On the 27th September, with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 28th September, with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, back at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a Revolution. North London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I'm going it alone!

On the 3rd October, free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. Or not!

On the 4th October, Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person!

No comments:

Post a Comment