Monday 12 December 2016

Film: Dear Zindagi

Ah, at last I got to see Dear Zindagi. Well, it was about time - it's been buzzing around at the top of my film list for a while now. Closest venue was the Vue Shepherd's Bush, but it wasn't booking out, so I didn't book.

And I determined to go to the matinee - because, being on Gardening leave, I can. And I did get up in time - took the Overground up there; you never know, sometimes they don't charge more than the bus, and it's certainly quicker. Plus, I didn't have to research my route - been up there by Overground several times. I didn't actually make the train I wanted to - they're only every 15 minutes - but I knew there'd be ads beforehand anyway, so it didn't matter much.

The place was pretty deserted, on a Monday lunchtime. He didn't ask me what seat I wanted, just gave me a ticket, and then there was no-one to check it. Anyway, I could see my screen, and made my way down there. To an empty cinema. Gee, it's so many years since I had a private screening! My ticket was about halfway up, but there was no way I was climbing all those stairs with no handrail - I ended up in the second row, which was a bit closer than I'd have liked, but any further and I'd have been afraid to come down. What the hey, I was fine.

Dear Zindagi has the same writer/director - Gauri Shinde - as English Vinglish, which was an absolutely charming film.  A very good recommendation. Also stars the eminently watchable Alia Bhatt, whom I last saw in Udta Punjab, as a street urchin forced into prostitution. Well, she has an easier time of it in this - she's a successful career woman, with one major problem: men. She works in the film industry, where she finds herself surrounded by a bevy of beautiful young men - but, despite (perhaps partly because of) her family's wish to see her settled, she can't seem to commit to anyone.

I went into this expecting a rom-com.. I blame the trailer. And in anyone else's hands - Hollywood, for instance - that's exactly what I'd have got. However, what I did get was something entirely different, where Gauri Shinde uses a hint of romance to tell us a completely different story altogether. Just like English Vinglish, which isn't really a romantic love story at all. Incidentally, I spent the entire film wondering who "Zindagi" was - turns out it's the Urdu for "life", and pronounced zin-da-GEE. So the film is about our heroine working out her life issues. And the title also references the fact that, because of something traumatic in her childhood, she has repressed her emotions ever since - for example, she hasn't written letters. So, she's now writing a letter to life. A love letter, if you like.

Again, if Hollywood got a hold of that idea (and they yet might!), it'd end up realy schmaltzy. This film, however - just like English Vinglish - is absolutely charming, and disarming.. Apart from a general lack of car chases and sex, I defy anyone to find anything they don't like about it. An appealing lead actress, gorgeous men to ogle, an inspiring story, some worthwhile life lessons - and that ever-present feature of Indian films, the family, which isn't swept to the side, but is appreciated, warts and all. I love that about Indian film. And, to be honest, I didn't give this film enough credit - I loved it too, and am so glad I got to see it. Kudos to the film list that sometimes forces me to things I'd never otherwise see.. it's come up trumps again.

On to Westfield afterwards for some shopping:



Got some things done, then home to eat that stuff in the fridge that would've gone off otherwise.

And that's an end to making my own entertainment. Tomorrow, the Man with the Hat is taking  Let's Do London - for less! to a new venue: new to the West End as well as to us. We're off to the Found111 Theatre to see Fool for Love. And bless, he'll have seen the performance by then, he says, so while we're enjoying ourselves, he'll be checking out local bars - tricky to find a place at this time of year. Now there's dedication.

Wednesday sees London for Less Than a Tenner on what will probably be their final trip of the year to Top Secret. Back to two shows, which is nice - especially for £1. And Nick Dixon is slated to appear - yay! I guess I count as a "night owl" (see event description). Well hey, can't disappoint my fans.. ;-)

In the final part of a triple bill (!), the Man with the Hat has just announced a new event for Let's Do London - for less! There I was with nothing definite organised for Thursday, and up he and his Hat pop with a Christmas concert at Cadogan Hall. With famous people in it, such as Aled Jones, who's hosting, and Dame Penelope Wilton, who's doing a reading. Now, that'll be nice, especially as he's going to something there in Christmas week, which I'll miss. I don't suppose the red hat with the pom-pom will make a reappearance for this..

I'm back to Ireland on Friday for the weekend, as it happens.. and strictly instructed not to book anything for Saturday so we can go take the poodle for her Christmas trim. See, I could fit in both, but my mother finds multi-tasking like that to be stressful. What the hey, there isn't much on anyway. Back in London on Monday for my last week before Christmas, and it won't even be a full week.. on Monday, Crick Crack is doing something a bit different. They're at Soho Theatre, with The Remarkable Tale of Robert Desnos. This, apparently, was a surrealist poet incarcerated in Auschwitz - unusual fare for Crick Crack. One of the speakers is Clare Muireann Murphy - my favourite storyteller, and I'll be fascinated to see what she does with it.

On Tuesday, my last event of the year with the Man with the Hat (sniff!.. unless he surprises us) will be on a trip to the West End. He's scored tickets in the front two rows of the stalls for Dead Funny, at the Vaudeville Theatre, for Let's Do London - for less! Ooh now..

And on Wednesday of next week, my very last thing before I fly back to Ireland for Christmas? Umm, a presentation on data collection apps, courtesy of Org London. Eh, unless I don't. Well, it just doesn't sound very Christmassy, now does it?! And then I fly back to Ireland on Thursday of next week..

Then things shall get very quiet for Christmas. I fly back to London on Monday 2 January - still no word on what I'll be doing after that. But hey, I have one more defnite paycheck to come in, which will cover my rent for January, and I have quite a few things booked. On Tuesday 3rd, I have my trusty placeholder of Free Comedy in Hammersmith - gee, it's been a while now since I actually went to one of those! Anyway, assuming I show up, I'm booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers, London Live Comedy, Random London, and London for a Tenner or Less and Funzing UK (both Funzing groups, and both advertising the thing twice). My, that's a lot to cancel, if I do..

On Thursday 4 January, yes, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. See now, even if I'm jobless, that's worth flying in for.

And on Friday 5 January, I'm (nominally) back in Hammersmith - this time, only with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Funzing UK. and London for a Tenner or Less. Once only wiith each!

No comments:

Post a Comment