Thursday 1 December 2016

Concert: Emre Engin & Jennifer Hughes

Kensington Classical Music again this evening, and a concert at the 1901 Club. And there I was, thinking I hadn't been before.. and it first in my list of blog labels! Anyway, it's near Waterloo, and for speed I said I'd get the train - mind you, I had doubts about it ever coming, what with each train being delayed, then shown as "DUE" on the departure boards for some minutes..

So, having reached Waterloo, I located Exton Street (off Waterloo Road) and it was as I was heading down it that it started to look familiar. So, I knew which door to look for; inside, I met the men with the clipboard, who didn't have my name, but did know the organiser's.. so they ticked me off, took my coat and suggested I go to the bar, upstairs. Which I did, being a bit early - and the organiser was already there, and we chatted until it was suggested that we go down, it being nearly start time. She also said she'd keep an eye out for any jobs that might suit me. Which was nice.

I had to sit near the back, on one of the high seats - people might have gone to the bar, but most had had the foresight to leave coats as placeholders on their chairs. I took a free programme from one of the ushers, and in due course - just a little late - the lights were dimmed, and the violinist, Emre Engin, ushered in.

In each half, the first piece was a violin solo, and for the second he was accompanied by Jennifer Hughes on piano. The first of the violin solos was Bach, whose second movement he substituted with one by Alfred Schnittke - which I thought jarred. However, the rest was beautiful. An unusual second piece followed: one of his own composition, accompanied by Jennifer Hughes, and which was written - as he told us - for his sister, who had miscarried. Its first public performance - and I was, as ever, apprehensive about modern classical music: but this was tender and haunting, and well deserved the cries of "bravo!" at the end.

Most headed up to the bar at the interval, but I'd developed a headache and the last thing I wanted was a drink - I said I'd stay where I was, and join them at the end. The second half saw performances of Paganini and Prokofiev - a lovely programme, all in all. Sadly, by the end I was practically falling asleep - it's emotionally wearing, you know, all this interviewing, and I slept badly last night - was glad I got it together for today's phone interview. Anyway, I made my excuses and left, glad to get home.

Tomorrow, it's back to Ireland for the weekend - flights booked up to February at this stage, but I'm not booking any more for now until I know what I'm doing long-term - and on Saturday, we're off to the UL Orchestra's Christmas concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment