Tuesday 20 January 2015

Film: Birdman

Ah, about time I got to the pictures again! After I excluded two OTT (and probably overrated) Indian films from the top of my list (ranked according to IMDB ratings), Whiplash was in pole position. But I'd seen the trailer, and was disturbed by the sadistic drumming teacher in it. So I passed. Birdman was next on the list - although it's highly nominated, someone in the office had nothing good to say about it. Still, I said I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Times in the local cinema didn't suit, so I decided to go to the next nearest - Cineworld Fulham. I see they're advertising this film as one of their "Oscars Unmissables".

It's within walking distance, so I was complacent about how early I left. So naturally, I ended up dashing down the road - at least that insulated me against the cold! Well, but you can always let ordinary cinema releases slide a bit - they always have at least 15 minutes of ads beforehand. So I entered the lobby, and joined the queue for the only ticket booth that was occupied - they're not keen on having people behind the counter here.

I would've booked online for a cheaper ticket (10% off with a Cineworld registration) but I have Tesco vouchers for Cineworld. Which require redemption in person. When I finally got to the desk - one eye on the clock the whole time - she told me my voucher wasn't accepted there. What?! She showed me the fine print - this was one of the cinemas listed as an exception. Huh! Had I known that, I wouldn't have bought these - and won't again. Still, I did want to see the film, so bought a ticket. At least they have a special offer on Tuesdays!

Thankfully, this was a downstairs screen, so no stairs to climb. However, there were several to descend! Flight after flight.. I finally got there and took my seat just as the title came on.

The story centres on Michael Keaton, who plays a has-been Hollywood superstar, famous back in the day for playing a superhero called Birdman. These days though, he's trying to make a go of it on Broadway - and not managing well at all. He's separated; his sullen teenage daughter (Emma Stone), who works for him, is a mystery to him; and he's got a vanity project in production, a play he's adapted, and is directing and starring in, based on a Raymond Carver novel - apparently, Raymond Carver was the one who inspired him to get into acting.

The night before the first preview, the other male actor in the play meets with an unfortunate accident - luckily, another of his stars, Naomi Watts, is going out with Edward Norton, who steps in at short notice. And proves himself to be both an excellent actor and an obnoxious git. And then there's the theatre critic, who has a chip on her shoulder about Hollywood stars trying to make it on the stage..

Well now, sorry, guy from office, but I thought this was excellent! Well deserving of all its awards. I think he'd been expecting a straightforward comedy, while this is more serious.. having said that, I found it hilarious, but it's a very dark humour. It's very actor-y. We are immersed in the frantic world of Broadway, with all its false praise, and I happily went along for the ride. Poor old Michael Keaton is overwhelmed by it, consoled only by the voice of Birdman in his head. Oh, and his supernatural powers. Highly recommended - unless your type of comedy is a more in-your-face style. I can understand its nominations.

Tomorrow, I'm back in the theatre for real - going to see Play of Thrones, an adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry VI a la Game of Thrones. Not that I've seen Game of Thrones, but it should be interesting - I haven't seen any of the Henry VI plays either, but I am fascinated by that period of history. Showing in the Union Theatre.

As for the Tesco vouchers, I still have three of them. So I'll have to look sharp - they expire the weekend after next, when I'm back in Ireland, so my last days to use them are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of next week. Well, great excuse to catch up on the blockbusters!

No comments:

Post a Comment