Saturday 10 January 2015

Concert: The Pink Singers

Honestly, I wanted to go to La Soirée tonight - but the only seats they had left for the early performance when I looked were the posh ones, and I didn't want to wait for the 10pm show. So I booked to see The Pink Singers - Europe's longest-standing LGBT choir, apparently - in Cadogan Hall, instead.

The show started at 7, which on a weekday would leave me in a tizzy, trying to get everything done in time, but of course at the weekend I'm ready hours before! So, I set off in good time. The platform indicators at both West Brompton and Earl's Court were under the illusion that my train was terminating at Earl's Court, but luckily the train - and, presumably, its driver - knew better, and it took me all the way to Sloane Square. And Cadogan Hall is just up the road, to the right as you exit.

My seat was quite near the stage - just to the side, but with this stage configuration that was ok. I was at a show here before where the stage was extended into the front rows, so I ended up having to look sideways, which wasn't ideal. I was one of the first in, but the hall soon filled - by the end, there were a few free seats, but not many. Eavesdropping on the conversation beside me, I discovered that the lady in the seat next to mine had been to several of these concerts.. but still didn't know what LGBT stands for!

Well, the concert wasn't the most professional I've seen - but it was the most fantastic fun! The theme was "legends", which encompassed both pop and classical. So, we got a bit of Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Madonna, Joni Mitchell, Queen (natch), Édith Piaf, Mozart, and Monteverdi, among others. I hadn't bought a programme, as usual, and was delighted to discover that they were going to sing an aria from Orfeo, which I'm going to on Tuesday and have never heard before. And it was delightful.. but I do love Baroque opera.

Highlight of the show had to be the guest choir - the Mallorca Gay Men's Chorus - who entered into the thing with great gusto, dressing up, practicing their English, and endearing themselves to us all. They got a standing ovation as they left the stage. Even from the guy in front of me who'd been shaking with laughter, hand over his face, as one of the soloists did his thing - admittedly, that was a shaky voice. The main choir also got a standing ovation when they finished, and well deserved. Oh, and they finished on a U2 song. Quite right too. And what else but Pride..

I was glad not to have to wait too long for my train - it was absolutely freezing after the concert! Tomorrow is Potted Sherlock, in the Vaudeville Theatre. And I'm sorry I said that the Royal Opera House was the only venue to provide a photo of the view from every seat - this place seems to do it too! I only just looked at that, to see what the seat I got with LoveTheatre is like. Well now. With nothing left in the fridge, I think I'll take the opportunity to eat at one of my favourite restaurants tomorrow. Cote is only five minutes' walk from the theatre..

Monday: The RSC production of Henry IV Part I, in the Barbican.

Tuesday: the opera Orfeo, at the Roundhouse. With Helen.

Wednesday: a gig at the Lexington, near King's Cross. They're running a week-long event - The Line of Best Fit - to showcase up-and-coming acts. Particularly interested in Jagaara.

Thursday: The Magic Hour. A Victorian-style magic show, with spirit messages and everything. I like the look of the venue too - the Grand Royale, a glorious old Victorian hotel near Hyde Park.

After I get back from Ireland, on Monday week, I've booked to go to a play in the only theatre within walking distance of me - the Finborough. The play is called Pig Girl, and the theatre is so small that it's always advisable to book.

No comments:

Post a Comment