Saturday 5 April 2014

Acrobatics: La Meute

I originally booked to see La Meute acrobatics troupe last Tuesday, but in the nature of these things, one of them injured himself and the show was cancelled. The following day, they emailed to say that the rest of the shows would be going ahead and ask when I would like to book for. At that particular instant, it was sunny, so I decided not to book for that evening, in case I wanted to do something outdoorsy. (The sun didn't last, but howsoever.) I had already booked things for Thursday and Friday, so I chose today.

It was the first time I'd been to the Roundhouse, so I had to research my trip. Google Maps suggested I take the Overground - always a good option for venues at the other side of the city, and out of the centre; the Overground avoids Zone 1 (the centre), and so avoids the premium charge associated with it. I checked to make sure there were no planned engineering works - these take place at weekends - but all was clear. Good idea to take the Overground though - the Tube stations local to the Roundhouse were closed.

You take the Overground to Kentish Town West, then turn right (under the bridge you can see in Streetview) and continue until you come to Crogsland Road (which I remembered as "Frogsland" with a "C"). Take a left there, and left at the bottom of the road, onto Chalk Farm Road. The Roundhouse is a short distance along, on the other side of the road, and distinguishable by being, eh, round. As it happened, this was the best signposted route I've ever walked in London, with clear signposts directing me to the Roundhouse in one direction (at either end of Crogsland Road) and to the station in the other. Not that I was that worried - as soon as I turned onto Crogsland Road, I could see the distinctive roof of the Roundhouse over the other roofs. And not that far away either.

There was a whole glut of people arriving at the same time as I did. Given that it was about five minutes before scheduled start time, I wasn't surprised when the show was delayed a little. The main space, where this show is being held, is a cavernous, round room with removable tiered seating. Reminded me of a music venue. Ah, those summer days.. I had originally got a seat in the front row; unsurprisingly, I was further back tonight. But, as I suspected, I had a better view in my raised seat tonight - the front row is right under the stage. A bit close for comfort! It was the only cheap stalls ticket left at the time.

The show is scheduled to last about 70 minutes. As well as the dramatic stunts, a couple of things distinguish this from other acrobatics shows I've seen. Firstly, the music. Most of the acrobats play live music at some point or other of the show, and when they're all otherwise engaged, an onstage synthesiser plays a backing track. I do think that circus acts play better with a soundtrack. Particularly when it takes the form of a fellow playing the oboe while balancing on a wooden support trestle.

Secondly, the humour. Well, you have to expect it from a group that chooses to perform acrobatics clad only in towels, wrapped around them in a variety of configurations, mostly resembling nappies. The whole show is sprinkled with gentle humour. They have a madcap approach to their acrobatic stunts, doing amazing things with a swing, a seesaw, some support poles, and mats of various sizes. Many of the stunts involve men landing, full-force, on each other's crotches. Or on joined hands. Ouch! One stunt has a fellow doing a handstand, legs splayed, while another brandishes a pole between the legs of the upside-down man.. and promptly brings it down hard, breaking it in two.

Which brings me to another hazard of the front row.. not only were they warned, tongue-in-cheek, about the dangers of people flying off the swing, but the second half of that pole flew towards the audience. I don't think it reached as far as the front row, but it would be unnerving. And speaking of accidents.. you can see how Tuesday's rehearsal accident happened. This business requires the performers to push the limits ever further, into actual danger. As we could see, after one complex stunt, where everyone was scattered at various parts of the stage, all balancing precariously on something, and all linked by a cable that one of them had spent the last several minutes threading through and around them while the audience was mostly distracted by other stunts. Finally, the cable was in place - and, predictably, pulled. And all came crashing down.

One in particular.. we initially thought that most of them gathering around the back of the stage was part of the act, but it soon became apparent that one - I think it was the guy playing the oboe while balancing on that support, who then had a cable wrapped round him - had injured himself in the fall. They all gathered round, asking him how he was. They warned the technicians, just offstage. Someone got him an ice pack. The house lights came on. I had visions of the show being cancelled, and wondered whether we'd be asked to come back the next night - and whether I could manage it. But he must have told them he'd be all right in a bit - he sat for the next while, playing the oboe, while the others performed, but he was soon up and flinging himself about again. I do think they left something out, because the show was shorter than I expected - but not by much.

Even then, we weren't finished - at one point, they fling themselves, one by one, from the swing onto a mat that is held by another couple of men. For one of them, though, they hold the mat practically vertical, and he hit it hard with his face. Had to be supported when he landed, and was seen to be shaking his head as they took their bows after that one. Jeez, imagine doing that for a living!

They all recovered sufficiently to whip off their towels at the end, Full Monty-style, and give us a lovely view of their toned bums. And then they plunged the stage into darkness so they could scamper off and put on some clothes. As the mc said at the end, give them about fifteen minutes more to tidy themselves, and they'd be available in the café to chat.

Well, I was somewhat relieved, on their behalf, that tomorrow is their last day. They have a performance at 2.30, and some tickets are still available. It's a fun performance, and quite kid-friendly, despite the partial nudity. And I will never cease to be amazed at what some people have to put themselves through for their careers..

Deciding what to do tomorrow was quite a task. Suffice to say that I rejected various things on the grounds of weirdness, or just lack of interest. This left me with films, for the first time this week. And the winner for tomorrow is.. Starred Up, a gritty prison drama. I was quite impressed by the trailer for this. The only name I recognise from it is Rupert Friend. Anyway, the cinemas nearby are showing it only at times that are so late that I'd never be home in time to get to bed in time to have a full night's sleep, and still get up for work next morning. So I'm going to see it in Wandsworth, which isn't that far away, and is showing it an hour earlier. Also, I can get there by bus - so no engineering works to affect me! And how appropriate, given that this is, apparently, the year of the bus..

No comments:

Post a Comment