Tuesday 28 January 2014

Film: Dark Days

Top of my list for films for today was Dark Days, but I was dubious. Did I really want to go to see a film about homeless people living in a subway tunnel? After some reading, I decided it was worth a shot. Looking on the website to check it wasn't selling out, I noticed that they were charging the same for full price tickets as for concessions. Which must have been an error (different prices had been quoted on the previous page). So I took full advantage!

It's showing exclusively in the Institute of Contemporary Arts. I checked Google Maps to remind myself how to get there - it's been a while - and noticed that, despite my having complained a couple of times, their directions STILL lead you around the back of the building, where there is no entrance! No, people, no - yes, you go to Piccadilly Circus and go down Regent Street (Tube exit straight ahead as you come off the escalator), and continue to the end, where the statue is. But then you do NOT turn left and look for a way in - there isn't one. What you do is carry on down the steps that descend behind the statue, and the ICA is at the bottom, on the left. Really, it ain't that hard..!

This is the place with the most excellent bookshop, which it's been an age since I had the time to peruse. This must be the first time, however, that, after perusal, I didn't find anything I wanted to own! (Not that I've ever bought anything in it - I just get inspiration and then check whether it's cheaper online, which it always is.) I was in plenty of time, and, ironically, they were in no hurry to open the cinema door. I had picked up a Metro on my way, though - they always have some left over at Earl's Court - and whiled the time away reading that until they let us in - somewhat reluctantly, I thought! Funnily enough, he did ask whether anyone was there to see Kiss the Water, showing in the other screen. Well, I'm sorry, but a film about fly fishing.. I guess it must be hard, choosing which arthouse films to screen, how unusual is too unusual. At least you know where you are with multiplexes!

As we entered, I caught myself wondering when on earth I'd last been in here! The last several times I've been to the ICA, I was in Screen 2 - it must be absolutely ages since I've been in Screen 1, which is much bigger. I positioned myself in a decent seat - seating is unassigned. And after a while a young couple sat in the row in front of me, just to the right. Just at the corner of my field of vision. And started canoodling. And then did some more of it. And some more. In fact, they only stopped when the film came on. Oh, and when they had to stand to let someone past them. And then they were at it again within 30 seconds. Very distracting. It also occurred to me that this was a strange choice for a date movie..

Well, it does what it says on the tin - it's a film, made in 2000, about homeless people in a disused subway tunnel in New York. They built themselves their own shacks and everything, underground. The filmmaker made this all on his own, interviewing these people and using them as film assistants when they weren't being interviewed. With something like this, you might worry that it all becomes a bit like an anthropological study, a bit dull. And it starts off like that. But this film is highly rated for a reason - it really takes off when we start to get to know the characters, meet and know the people, some of whom have been down there for up to 25 years. Some of them have horrific stories, some are hilarious. In the end, Amtrak decided they didn't want them down there anymore, and after negotiation, the city was prevailed upon to provide them with housing permits, and they got apartments of their own. Above ground. And you come away with a real interest in these people, and hoping they got on ok with their lives thereafter.

And then it lashed rain all the way home. And the traffic lights are still out, where I have to cross the road. Bah humbug!

Let's hope for better weather tomorrow, when I'm going to see The Night of the Hunter, finally, at the British Film Institute. Which involves crossing a bridge. Unfortunate thing is, given that I'm in the Guildford office next day, I'll need to take my laptop with me. Up all those steps, and probably standing on a packed Tube.. ugh. Well, it's exercise, at least! Not going out after I come back from Guildford, I'll be too tired. Then I fly to Ireland for the weekend - and I keep forgetting to mention, I'm going to see the Ennis Gospel Choir on Saturday. And I'm going to the opening night of the Beckett Trilogy on Monday..

No comments:

Post a Comment