Tuesday 14 January 2014

Film: Child's Pose

I fully determined to go to The Missing Picture last night - but was so soaked in a thunderstorm (with hail) on the way home from work that I said sod it, I couldn't be bothered. So, given that I didn't have it booked, I stayed in.

However, tonight I had booked to go to Child's Pose, at the BFI. When I checked, it was half sold out already - and indeed, I ended up getting the last of the cheap Tuesday tickets! Which then led me to the BFI booking conundrum. You see, you're hit three times if you book with BFI. First, they suggest you might like to donate an amount equal to 10% of the ticket price. OK, that's not unreasonable. Then they charge you a booking fee. Finally, they suggest you might like to make another donation! Now really. I drew the line at the third charge on this occasion - this was the first time I'd seen them add three charges! but the booking fee is the only compulsory one, and I added 10% of the ticket price to that.

Déja vu tonight - the same announcement at West Brompton station about the indicator on Platform 2 maybe not showing correct information. This time though, it was. When we got to Earl's Court, the obliging driver informed us that we would be held a while there, and the train on the other platform was leaving first - which, of course, led to a stampede to the other train. How unusually helpful.. that train was more usually used for the Circle Line, by the décor, and the fact that it was newer and more spacious than the other. Made a nice change. I panted my way up onto the bridge at Embankment - not yet used to it after the Christmas break - and felt some spots of rain as I was crossing the river.

Made the BFI in good time and got my ticket. I had to ask where the screen was - I've never been in the Studio before. She wasn't actually quite sure herself! but spotted it just across from the ticket desks. So I made my way in. Although my row had been sold out - apart from the seat I booked and a couple at the other end - the middle ended up being empty. Maybe they hadn't fancied coming out in the rain. Of course, I would be beside the overweight, middle-aged man with the loud breathing. Why does that happen to me so often..?

Being the BFI, they provide program notes at the entrance to every screen. I had time, for once, to read the notes for this, which pointed out that the lead actress is well known in Romania for small roles, but this was her first starring role. Well, I must say, she plays a blinder. It's a terrific character study. She is the domineering, well-to-do mother, who, upon learning that her son was involved in a road accident in which a young boy was killed, immediately goes into overdrive, protecting him, massaging the facts, bribing whoever needs to be bribed. The film is less about the legal case, and more about her fight with her son over who really gets to run his life. Very telling, very real. The stand-out scene is where she has a heart-to-heart with her son's girlfriend, of whom she has never approved, but who, in this scene, quietly tells her some home truths. As the notes say, the temptation would be to turn this mother into a harridan - but she's actually quite sympathetic, and the story is told from her point of view. A film well worth a look, if you come across it.

It was pouring as I came home, but nothing as bad as yesterday..

Well, it's looking like a film again tomorrow - I would have gone to see the film I was going to see last night, but it's only showing in the afternoon tomorrow, so that's a no-go. Instead, the plan so far is to go to The Railway Man, in which Nicole Kidman falls for Colin Firth, before learning that he has baggage, in the form of time spent in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp. It's on at the Odeon, so I can collect more points. I notice, however, that as well as hiking the number of points required for free screenings, they've ended member discounts! All of which makes being an Odeon member that much less attractive.. The night after, I've booked at the BFI again, this time for a fetchingly named flick called Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatjana, from Finland. (This time, I gave no donation at all!) A very mixed bag, this week, then - and back to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment