Thursday 3 October 2013

Film: Everyone's Going to Die

Well, Everyone's Going to Die shot up in the IMDB ratings, so was today's must-see. It was showing in the Vue Piccadilly, which I was supposed to go to last Thursday, except then I didn't. Sadly, that meant that I missed the Irish sci-fi film I had been going to see - it only had a limited showing and I didn't have another chance to see it. Both were showing as part of the Raindance Festival of indie film, based at this cinema.

I knew the problem was going to be picking the right exit from Piccadilly Station - after that, it was a short hop down Regent Street. The cinema itself is called the Apollo, which must have been the original name. Anyway, for future reference, no, you don't take either exit marked for Regent Street. You take Exit 3, and take the corridor marked "South Piccadilly". That'll get you where you need to be. Honestly, this place - if it weren't for the maps at the exits, which I studied carefully, although it made me slightly late..

I could never quite remember the name of this film, and was slightly conscious of that as I ordered the ticket. But I got it right. And then had to go down two floors to the cinema proper. The stairs are brightly lit with rather dazzling blue lights, which, although attractive, are something of a hazard. And the whole place was full of Raindance stands, selling catalogues and t-shirts. The cinema itself was a pleasant surprise - all seats are plush, premier-style, with mini tables between. Apparently, all screens in this cinema are the same. And the seats recline. Well, goodee.. and the price, while not cheap, is less than you'd pay in many of the large cinemas round about..

This is a quirky little film, the sort that you come across sometimes on the telly, late at night, and that turn out to be real gems. Basically, it's about two people, a man and woman, in an English seaside town (turns out to be Folkestone). They're both disenchanted with their lives, meet by chance, and develop a connection over a period of 24 hours. It's alternately philosophical and hilarious. Check it out, if you get the chance.

Afterwards, there was a Q+A with the cinematographer, who was sitting in front of me during the showing, and the lead actor. Apparently, he's only a newbie at acting! Aww.. and one of the questions directed at the cinematographer was from his father, also sitting in front of me. We were told we could take a catalogue for free on the way out, but I didn't bother - the festival is over in three days anyway, and I'm unlikely to go to anything else in it.

Speaking of which, I'm off to see Land of Our Fathers tomorrow - it's in one of those theatres above a pub, and I have been there once before, but will have to look it up again. It's been booking out - supposed to be very good. And I'm off to see Scenes from a Marriage on Saturday. Then back to films, by the look of it.. and a continuing flat-hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment