Monday 9 September 2013

Film: We're the Millers

Yes folks, another change to the advertised schedule. :-) Remember how I said I liked buses..? Well, the easiest way to Wandsworth from West Kensington is by bus. And I got one straight away after leaving the office. Now, I'm used to it taking half an hour or less, in heavy traffic..

..

It took 65 minutes. Even the driver stopped another driver to ask him what on earth the traffic was about. Needless to say, I missed the film. Plan B kicked in. I figured the easiest thing to do was go to another film there, and this would probably be We're the Millers, which is the highest-ranked mainstream film on IMDB that I would be interested in but hadn't seen. Sure enough, when I checked what was on there, that was indeed the highest rated film (I practically have that list memorised by now). I got to the cinema at 6.55, the film was on at 8.20. Great, that gave me time to eat..

They had a Nando's, so that suited fine. Must have been the lack of customers, but my, the service was slow. I had ordered chicken with sides of garlic bread and mash. Finally, this guy meanders over with a small plate on which sat two slices of garlic bread. "Garlic bread?" quoth he. "Yes," said I, "and creamy mash, and chicken.." So he went back and I could see them ladle the garlic bread onto a plate, on which resided a chicken. And they added some mash. And there it sat for another five minutes. Mind you, I did have time, and the girl who finally brought it was so sweet you couldn't be mad at her.. I even had time for their excellent choc-a-lot cake.

Well, it must have been fate that threw that traffic in my way. I would probably have got to this film eventually, but not for a while. And it is excellent! No, really, a comedy that's actually not stupid!! Do you know how rare that is?! It's witty, it's aimed at people that are old enough to laugh at what teenagers get up to, it's got likeable characters, and frankly, it's the first film in a long time that I wouldn't mind seeing again. Just to catch all the jokes, which come thick and fast, and are often subtle. D'you know what? I think I'll buy it..(pause) there, ordered!

And the bus back only took 15 minutes.. huh.

Tomorrow, I'm off to a Thames Festival talk at City Hall, about the environment. By Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment