Wednesday 25 September 2013

Film: Happiness

This sounded good, on the ICA website. "Happiness: Todd Solondz' shocking third feature is one of the boldest ensemble comedies ever produced in America, depicting the intertwining romantic lives of a group of dysfunctional New Jersey suburbanites." So, that sold me!

Had trouble getting there on time, what with delays of my own, coupled with numerous unscheduled stops, as usual, on the District Line. No wonder Google Maps advised me to take the Piccadilly! But I didn't, and arrived about five minutes late. And sweaty - the Tube had been crowded and hot, despite the cool weather.

At least this wasn't the BFI, which frowns very much on latecomers. No, they were happy to sell me a ticket and tell me I could sit wherever I wanted. The place was only half full, so that was easy. I arrived during the ads - again, the BFI doesn't tend to show ads, which is awkward if you're delayed. Here, the ads are all for films - I don't like missing film ads, but what could I do.. I did annoy someone by blowing my nose noisily during an ad, which made me paranoid for the rest of the film.

And the film opened, and I thought - o hell, I've seen this! That opening scene, with Jane Adams on an awkward date with Jon Lovitz in a restaurant.. that looked familiar. And Cynthia Stevenson as her sister, Trish - that looked familiar. Then there were bits that weren't. I finally concluded that I had probably seen it, but as it's 15 years old and I couldn't remember a single thing about it, that was fine.

So, we also have Trish's psychiatrist husband Bill, played by Dylan Baker - Lara Flynn Boyle as her other sister, Helen - the late Ben Gazzara as their father - and Philip Seymour Hoffman, who's also one of Bill's patients and has an obsession with Helen, and Camryn Manheim as Helen's neighbours. Quite a few familiar faces, then.

I absolutely love this film. I completely understand why I saw it before - if I did. If you don't find something in this film to shock you, you must be dead. We are presented with so many taboos, not in a provocative way, but gently, as part of the intricate plot. It's outrageous - and it's hilarious. Should be required viewing. Sadly, that was its only showing for the time being. But keep an eye out for it!

Tomorrow is looking like Earthbound, at the Vue Piccadilly. It's sci-fi, as you might expect, and tarnation if it isn't Irish as well! When did we start making sci-fis..? Anyway, lots of vaguely familiar faces in this. To me, at least. The most famous of whom - to me - is Carrie Crowley, who used to be a presenter on RTÉ television. Sadly, it's only on at a cinema in Piccadilly, which makes the whole journey more confusing. Ah well..!

No comments:

Post a Comment