Friday 25 November 2022

Play: Haunting Julia

Tonight, I was back with TAC for Haunting Julia, at The Questors Theatre, a new one to me. A ghost story, goodee! Written by Alan Ayckbourn.

Damned long way out there - it's in South Ealing! Well, naturally it was going to be Tube - so I ate in O' Neill's again. Where the ground floor was even more packed, watching Portugal v Ghana - but the upstairs was pretty empty: although I could see a table made up to the side for a Christmas party. This time, I ordered from someone I've ordered from many times before - and although he forgot my onion rings (which had to be done as a rush job, and came out sizzlingly hot), they came pretty quickly. And crucially, I wasn't charged extra for the chips this time. Beware the female servers here - what with last night's, who overcharged me, and tonight's, who barked at some customers who'd wandered in to WAIT BY THE DOOR.. Frankly, they're not doing the place any favours. The food remains delicious.

The Piccadilly Line was packed all the way. So was the bus I was advised to take for the last part of the trip - my internet connection was so bad, I couldn't check to see whether it was walkable, before the bus arrived! A short walk, then, to an attractive little theatre - the friendly folk at the box office handed me my ticket, and as I was early (as I was supposed to be), they directed me to the bar. Where the wine was deliciously cheap, compared to what I'm used to, and the house white is rather lovely. They had piles of plastic containers on the bar to pour our drinks into for when the show started.


Unassigned seating - I managed to get the front row, over the side. There wasn't a bad seat, really. So - the characters in this are Julia's dad, her ex, and another man who's introduced to us gradually. Julia herself committed suicide, some years back, and this is supposed to be a memorial to her, run by her father - apparently, she was a musical prodigy. As you enter, the usher welcomes you to the experience, and explains that this is a reproduction of her bedroom. All of this, complete with a photo of her staring down on us from my side, giving her birth and death dates, convinced some folks in the audience that we were watching a true story. Eh, no.. crikey, some people will believe anything!

Well, the grieving father has brought Julia's ex around because he's been hearing strange noises. He's invited this other bloke too, who turns out to have a connection to Julia. Now, this play has apparently been around for a while, and has faced criticism for being both a play about grief, and a ghost story, but doing neither right. Well, I'll say first off - it's no ghost story. For all the rather naff special effects (The Woman in Black does a much better job of that kind of thing). The element of grief is well-explored, and well-developed.. but would honestly fare much better without the supernatural distractions. Still, it's decent, and excellently acted - but probably not worth the trek I had to get there! Runs till Saturday, if you're interested.

Google Maps suggested a direct Tube route home - Central Line (which, to be fair, was probably too crowded earlier) from Ealing Broadway, which was an easy walk. En route, I stopped in for some chocolate, realising that the shops near home would be closed by the time I got there. And to finish my journey, the Victoria Line was baking hot. Yes, not a trip I fancy making often! At least I've finally figured out where the closest King's Cross Tube exit to home is..

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club for The Beast in Me, by Daniel Morden. At King's Place. Fantastic! And yay, I persuaded the lady from Tuesday who booked the restaurant to come to this as well - we're grabbing a bite in the Rotunda Bar beforehand.

On Saturday, I have my Christmas get-together with Helen! We're planning a Christmas bonanza - first to the Magical Ice Kingdom at Winter Wonderland, where we must also have a stroll around the Christmas markets, and get some alcoholic hot chocolate. Then food - then we're on a Tootbus night-time open-top bus tour. As booked on Wowcher. Now, there is a rail strike that day, but she says it's not yet affecting her - she'll keep an eye on it. Mind you, the Tube strike might - I had her asking me for bus directions on Monday! Of course, there's a bus strike too..

On Sunday, I'm back with Discover London, for a walk entitled Secrets of the Riverside Part 1: Tower Bridge to London Bridge. These events are good - I'm delighted to be back on one! And I see this one is now booked up.

The next two days, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for some reason, I only just saw their advertised trip, on Monday, to see Austentatious: An Improvised Jane Austen Novel, at the Arts Theatre. Awesome! This should be good - title decided by the audience on the night.

On Tuesday, we're back at the Park Theatre for the Make Mine a Double series - next week, it's Press, which examines the world of journalism, and Tunnels, about two cousins hoping to escape East Berlin. So, darker than this week's.

On Wednesday.. same problem as this Wednesday. Again, watch this space..

Next Thursday - well, my contract has been extended, and the new company is busy with a background check, and hasn't yet given me a start date. Which is just fine, as I only have to give a week's notice. I booked an online talk, The Life and Times of Magnus Folk, from the Surrey History Meetup. One of the earliest electrical engineers in England, it seems. Anyway, it's free, and I've now cancelled - I found something more interesting while I was waiting for the play tonight. The Arabic Music, Dance and Party Meetup Group are advertising an evening at the Bethlehem Cultural Festival - tickets from Eventbrite - in which there's a talk about 19th century travellers, as well as discussion of a forthcoming book, and a talk from a female artist in Gaza. Not that the group is advertising it, but there's also an Arab dance after, and another talk - you can go to some, or all. Happening in The Tabernacle. So, I booked a ticket - stopped short of joining the group though - we shall see.

Then back to Ireland for the weekend again - flying Aer Lingus for a change! My passport is due to expire, you see - I don't technically need one to travel between Ireland and the UK, but Ryanair demands it. Aer Lingus doesn't.. so, I must get on to that renewal now!

On the 5th - yep, the London Chess Community again looked like the best option. Hmm. But just yesterday - hallelujah! I was saved by London Social & Cultural Meetups, who have scheduled a talk on The 70th Anniversary of the Great London Smog. (Although oddly, we're meeting outside - perhaps the venue is hard to find?) Anyway, I'm delighted - this is that friendly group I joined a while ago for Evensong at St. Bartholomew the Great, and I'm glad to be seeing them again.

On the 6th, well, Free Stuff and Free Events are holding another online singalong. Again, I cancelled my attendance at the last of these I booked for, so am reluctant to rush off and book again.. Or the Garden Talks have one on How Did Language Begin? Unfortunately, my free trial has long since expired, and they won't let me take out another. Well, I might pay - but I'd be paying for a month's worth, so I figure I might as well wait until closer to the date, and get the value..

On the 7th, phew, a definite plan! I'm back with UITCS for Baghdaddy at the Royal Court. About a little girl, realising she's half Iraqi, just as the Gulf War is raging. I see CT now has tickets for this.. unusually for this venue!

On the 8th, I've signed up for another Watkin's Bookshop talk! This is Colin Stanley on Colin Wilson's Introducing the Occult. Well, the last talk I was at here was interesting, so..

On the 9th, I'm heading to Lightopia, at Crystal Palace Park. As suggested by Over 40 Living the Life, who are not actually hosting a trip themselves, but just wanted to advertise it. 15% discount if you subscribe to Lightopia's mailing list, 20% discount for purchases of 10 or more tickets. And durnit if Groupon hsn't just advertised cheap tickets..

On the 10th - I've bravely scheduled another meeting of Those who Do Not Come. It's my last weekend in London before Christmas, you see. Well, so far Ivan and my first boss in London are probable attendees, the one person who came the last two times probably not, for once. We shall see - I asked them again to confirm, and Ivan did, and the one who probably can't make it said he probably couldn't! Nowhere booked yet, but I'm thinking The Lucas Arms, maybe - O' Neill's isn't taking bookings for that day. And then, there's the complication of different festive menus.. and a £10 deposit per person..

And on the 11th, I'm vaguely thinking of heading to see Carnaby Street's Christmas lights..

No comments:

Post a Comment