Sunday 5 June 2022

Film: Revolution of our Times

I had the movers coming today. God, I hate this bit, it's always chaos. Anyway, they were coming between midday and 1pm - in fact, I was on the bus there, at 11.45, when I got a call from the company, Removals Zone, to say they were expected at 12.15. Ok cool - except, when I got around the corner, the blasted cars that parked in the loading bay last night, after restrictions ended until tomorrow, were still there! Erk - that's the only parking. I had visions of the movers refusing to do the job - but when they came and saw the situation, they parked in front of the loading bay and rang head office, who rang me, and said they could stay where they were, if I'd pay the fine if they got a ticket. Sure! What else was I going to do?

In the event, they didn't get a ticket - and indeed, the van wasn't there for long anyway, as they'd shown up without packing materials for the rest of my stuff (despite what I'd been promised), and one had to go back and get them. Head office, with whom I was on the phone a lot today, promised I wouldn't be charged for that. And in the meantime, the poor guy left behind shifted all the stuff I did have boxed, downstairs. Sweating, he checked with me that the destination had a lift. It does - ironically, about to go out of action for repairs. Just as well it was working today! Imagine though - I move out of a third-floor apartment without a lift, into a third-floor apartment with a lift, only to have the lift go out of operation. Figures.

Anyway, the guy got back, the packing got finished, and I was moved and they were gone by mid-afternoon or so. Leaving me imprisoned by a wall of boxes! Happily, this room is big enough that I can play a sort of move-the-blocks puzzle with them, and have at this point made a path between the door and the bed/desk, and another to the balcony. So, while I'm still sort of living in a box room, it's now manageable, and I have great hopes of being able to access all my stuff without an unreasonable level of difficulty. I certainly don't have the profound sense of despair that I had in my old place..

For this evening, I thought film. Top of the list was Revolution of our Times, a documentary about the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong, showing in the Curzon Bloomsbury. Something I've always been interested in. And since I suspect I'll be headed there a lot, I've now taken out membership - the "classic" level, valid for a year, entitles me to five free films (in cinema, with a guest, or on Curzon Home Cinema), a 20% discount on the others, for me and a guest, and a 10% discount on food purchased at the cinema. Also no booking fee, and priority access. Let's see whether I make use of it! That cinema is certainly very close to me now - in fact, I passed it yesterday, on my way to the walk.

I was also hungry, and decided that somewhere close to the cinema would be good. Google Maps informed me that there's an Italian, Ciao Bella, quite close to it, so that's what I headed for. Online reviews said that booking is essential, but I figured it was worth a shot - you have to ring to book, and it seemed too much effort. They specifically say that they close on bank holidays - but Sundays are ok! So off I went - along the route, heard what sounded like a male choir - and wouldn't you know it, it was coming from the London Welsh Centre! Anyway, when I got to the restaurant, it was open - and there were tables, both inside and out, it seemed. I figured it was a bit chilly, so took a seat inside.

Definitely a cinematic vibe:


and what an innovative storage system for bottle openers!


I have one wee quibble with this place - why do they make you ask for the wine list? Perhaps they only have one copy! So, I was slightly delayed when the maitre d' came to take my order, because I had to ask for that first. Just as well I did, as they do half-bottles, so I had one of those. Their wine is differentiated by colour - red text for red wine, green for white wine - which is handy, except for the emphasis on red! They literally only have one white wine available in less than a bottle size - so I had that, and it wasn't the best, but definitely not the worst either, that I've had.

My starter was minestrone - and for main, I noticed that the cheapest steak on the menu was the sirloin on the specials menu. So I decided to go for that. It mentioned balsamic sauce, but that seemed to be for the accompanying salad. I'd meant to order sauteed potatoes too, but it slipped my mind - until the food arrived, so I ordered them then. And had them within five minutes! Excellent service in general here, I must say!

OMG, the steak had been doused in balsamic sauce - which I love - and had been cooked to perfection. Seriously the best steak I've ever eaten. Oh yum yum.. I wolfed it down, could have eaten two. Sadly, I didn't really have time for dessert before the film - but if they had that every day, you'd have trouble keeping me away..


And so to the cinema, where I proudly announced that I had membership. She asked for my name, then for my email address for verification. And so I got a free cinema ticket (yay!), and 10% off those moreish chocolate-covered honeycomb bites - not actually sure whether the discount applies to alcohol as well, but anyway. Sure enough, the showing hadn't sold out, and I headed downstairs to the dochouse with my picnic.

The film deals with the 2019/20 Hong Kong protests, showing footage and interviews with participants. Ah, police brutality again - it's easy to get riled at this if you have a rebellious nature. Amnesty describes them as "out of control", as they beat people relentlessly, not discriminating between violent and non-violent protestors, between protestors and passers-by, civilians and reporters, young and old. They are as stony faced as the politicians, and it's depressing to hear the analysis of Chinese President, Xi Jinping as an emperor, with colonial ambitions. Really, I can't see a resolution to this - the Chinese won't give in for anything, it seems. All we can do is hope.. and wonder what will happen to the young people who have devoted their lives to this. As usual, faces of protestors are generally covered or blurred onscreen, and pseudonymns are used in the credits, to protect participants and crew. 

Absolutely lashed rain on the way home. Now, the coming week is a bit problematic - my boss is mooting a team dinner, but is supposed to have a poll to decide the day. Which hasn't happened yet. And of course, I really want to meet these folks in person for the first time! So, all plans are up in the air. But, assuming it's not tomorrow, I'm headed to see House of Shades, in the Almeida. I hear mixed reviews, but what I see here tends to be marvellous! Nothing yet booked for Tuesday, and I don't dare until I know more..

No comments:

Post a Comment