Saturday 30 October 2021

Storytelling: Scared to Death in the Woods / Night Owl

So, made a beeline for Wasabi today - earlier than yesterday, so I wasn't in a rush. And yum. I was stuffed by the end, though - they give two escalopes per portion, and it's a lot. I was lucky enough to get a place to sit in the station, again, while I was eating - and was entertained by the sound of cheering, from an indeterminate location in the building. Which I'm guessing was the reason for the police officers stationed outside. Anyway, nothing untoward happened, and I set off in good time for my event.

Tonight, I booked something nice and Halloweeny - a ghost story event entitled Night Owl - changed from Scared to Death in the Woods, which they're now doing on Hallowe'en itself, and which has sold out. (Although mind you, my reminder email still called it Scared to Death in the Woods.) Tickets from Design My Night. So, an organisation called London Dreamtime was leading us off into a undisclosed location, somewhere around Hampstead Heath.. we were to dress warmly, and bring a blanket to sit on, and a "candle in a jar" - I actually went out and bought an LED flickering candle in a lantern-style holder. Well, thought it was the most practical! And I brought batteries back with me.

So, I popped in the batteries, and off I popped for the bus, which came promptly. And it was cool to see all the people out in Hallowe'en costumes. Even the Teletubbies. I had to change buses, mind - and as I waited for the next - the #46 - I checked the LCD screen to see how long it'd be. Nearly half an hour?! Ah now, that wouldn't do at all. This completely disagreed with Google Maps' estimate of 1 minute. Google, get your act together - I ended up on the Tube, which I could have taken in the first place, and which would then have worked out quicker and cheaper.

The Central Line was crowded, so I stood - but it was a shorter journey. The Northern Line, I did get a seat on - but it was so hot.. it was a relief to emerge into the cool night air. Speaking of which, I was glad I hadn't taken the advice to bring a blanket - it really wasn't that cold. So, I set off for the Overground Station, where we were to meet. I was just checking whether I should turn to the right, for the entrance - when I saw a lady with a lantern across the road, a crowd around her. Sure enough, 'twas her - and she ticked my name off the list along with the others', then told us to go stand with the crowd huddled on the path into the woods, further up. I noticed a few with lanterns, so didn't feel out of place. Looks like the avenue of trees here would be lovely in daylight, but in the dark, it's hard to make out.

We set off at a fair pace - and when we got past the lit area at the edge of the Heath, she instructed us to use our phone torches. Sure enough, my little lantern wouldn't have been much good on its own! She stopped a couple of times en route, to set the scene - at the first stop, she told us the hilarious tale of how her mother was secretary to Christopher Neil-Smith, an Anglican exorcist - until something happened one day to make her flee out the door and never come back. Her second stop was to set the scene for her main story. (Yes, story, singular..)

So, we eventually got led into the woods proper, where the light came in handy, and there were logs we could sit on - or a groundsheet. One couple had, indeed, brought a blanket to sit on. I got a bit of log - not that comfortable, I might add. But I did find that the lantern added to the atmosphere. We were kind of in a circle, and she took an elevated spot so we could see her - and she related the story of a practiser of occult arts, who lived just down the road, and of the last day of his life. Beautifully told, quite eerie - and with a backdrop of the sound of fireworks, somewhere nearby, it sounded as though we were under attack. I'd have taken a photo, but honestly, I didn't want to spoil the mood..

And, um, that was it. Half an hour to make our way there, a half-hour or so to tell the story, and we were done. You what?! It took me longer than that to get there on the Tube! Granted, my bum was glad to detach itself from the log, but still - dragging us all the way up there for half an hour's worth. Also, not as advertised - I mean, this event was advertised as carrying on until 10! We finished at about 8.15..

I needed to take someone's arm for a short but steep slope that led back to the path - then it was easy enough to make my way out - I just followed the lanterns, still lighting, of those in front of me! (The lanterns were handy for that.) And the #46 - this time - appeared as it was supposed to, and took me back into town. And on board, I noticed how muddy my boots were - and a patch of mud on my clothes, too. Bah humbug. Well, all's well that ends well - and I would like to see her do something else. Just maybe not on the Heath!

Tomorrow.. Halloween itself.. I finally came up with something to do! One of my cheap ticket groups (CT) finally sent me an email with good suggestions - one of which was the Cloak & Dagger Immersive History Tour (yes, with actors). Starting and ending at The George, and yes, running tomorrow. Sadly, all their ticket allocation had gone - I just booked one direct with the company.

On the same email, they advertised the Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre! I found tickets even cheaper with my other cheap ticket group, TAC, however.. They have three sessions of short films tomorrow, the last of which finishes an hour before my walk, giving me time to get there. So I booked the first - but when I tried to book the others, the system wouldn't let me, saying they were too close together! I had to contact the box office direct to book them for me - which they promptly did. So, three 1.5-hour short horror film sessions, lasting all that afternoon, should set me up nicely for the walk!

On Monday, back with the Crick Crack Club - at King's Place, this time - for their annual Day of the Dead celebration! Keeping the spooky tradition nicely alive, there.

On Tuesday - weyhey, back with Ivan! Don't know where yet - watch this space.

Therefore, I'm taking the next day - Wednesday - off work. As I said to my boss, it'd be that or a sick day! That evening, however, I'll be dragging myself to the National for The Normal Heart, of which I've heard good reviews.

On Thursday, finally getting to see Tina - The Tina Turner Musical, which I'd booked pre-lockdown and got a refund for! Cheapest tickets, I found, were direct from the Aldwych Theatre. Peculiar website though - I couldn't see my basket without going back into the booking section. And then I'm flying back to Ireland again - a Friday flight, for once! Just for the weekend, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment