Friday 27 August 2021

St. Patrick's Festival: Guided Walks

So - another terrible Friday night for tv! You win some, you lose some.. I ended up with the St. Patrick's Festival website, where I seem to have got onto the guided walk section. 

First up was the Shenanigans Walking Tour, with ISL. Wow, what a nice change to have a tour outside of Dublin! This one is in Kilkenny - a lovely, medieval city that I only visited once. And he's an entertaining guide. It lasts under 15 minutes, and is only a taster - but still, I'm a bit miffed that the snippets of information promised to us in the blurb weren't delivered: such as how the city got its nickname, City of the Cats!

Next up was Sligo Walking Tours - out of the capital again, and with ISL. This is a town I've driven through, but never stopped in. To be frank, from the looks of this tour - again under 15 minutes - I don't think I'll ever be spending much time there; the amount of information provided just about filled the time available, but I don't think there can have been much more of interest to say. Certainly, this is less fun than the Shenanigans tour - the guide sounds like she's moonlighting from being a Garda, TBH; they have a stereotypically bland way of speaking.

Finally, a pair of guides took us on a Guinness in the Liberties Walking Tour - a tour of the historic Liberties area of Dublin, with a particular emphasis on the effect that the Guinness family had on the area, with their famous brewery. Fascinating to hear the history - and frankly, nice to be back in the city again, after the Sligo tour..

Tomorrow, I guess I'll try the car guy again for valeting - which means I'll be sourcing a film in Ennis. There's only one matinĂ©e that I haven't seen - happily, it's one I'm interested in. The new Candyman is - they say - more downbeat than outright horror. But I liked the original, and it's co-written by the talented Jordan Peele, and is an apparent update to the original. So yes, on my radar.

It's also on late enough that, with luck, I'll get to the Garda station - to report that my mother's bank account was phished last week. Yes, on my watch - mea culpa. You've heard of the Amazon scam, right? So, the idea is, they pretend to be from Amazon, and are ringing to thank you for resubscribing to their service. Press 1 to cancel. If you do, you're taken down a rabbit hole where they get you to install spyware on your computer, then fill out a refund form online. Lo and behold, there's an "error" in the form, where it refunds you too much! So you end up agreeing to transfer the money back. Of course, you end up transferring too much.. and they made sure to keep me away from the computer while that was happening, "to improve reception".

I should have known better - but was wrongfooted from the start, with my mother screeching at me to fix it, that they'd taken money from her account.. and up to a point, everything seemed reasonable.. well, the bank's been informed, they've passed the information on to the fraud office, and asked me to report it and get a crime reference number for them. I haven't had a chance yet. Oh Lordy, what a couple of weeks.. and what's more, ever since, we've been plagued by phone calls of the same nature, all from different numbers. I've been very busy blocking them.

On Sunday, the only matinée I'd be interested in is Andre Rieu 2021 Summer Concert: Together Again (Encore), which is showing in the Omniplex - and damn near sold out already! So I booked, despite the high ticket price - what the hey! It'll be the first time I'll ever have watched a concert in the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment