Saturday 20 February 2021

Series: Undone (Season 1, Episode 7)

Today - well, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) watched Hymn last night. Of course, I couldn't make that time, so will be watching on my own. It's live-streamed from the Almeida, last day today, so the only show I could make is today's matinée. And I'm glad I took the organiser's advice to book early, as the last one sold out - this one did, too! (As I learned from last week's Graham Norton Show, where one of the stars of the play was a guest. And proved himself an excellent dancer.)

But first - the only decent tv was a repeat, and I did just have time to watch another episode of Undone, on Amazon Prime. This is an animated series about a young woman who, after a car crash, experiences a weird new reality.. Animation, of course, makes it a lot easier for the creators to realise their vision, here.

It's quite cool animation - rotoscoping is used, which is the tracing of live-action video, to give a more realistic effect. The acting is good, the lead character personable - and the plot is pleasantly weird. I'm guessing it's all a dramatisation of the mind of someone with schizophrenia, but it's very clever, and there is a plot involving her dad's murder, which he's tasked her with solving. She learns to distort reality by shifting back and forth through time, and in this episode, I don't fancy her sister's chances of having a trouble-free wedding day, with all the weirdness that's going on..

Meantime, I logged into the Almeida website, where the livestream of Hymn has actually started - but the performance doesn't start till 3. Anyway, in the meantime, they're showing a couple of background videos. It's shocking to hear how even a sell-out show only provides 40% of what they need to keep running - alongside box office receipts and a grant, they must raise £2 million every year in donations! Crazy - especially for a theatre that produces such excellent material.

And tomorrow, UITCS is watching Angels in America (Part 1 - Millennium Approaches), a National Theatre production. Again, would you believe it, not at a time I can make - they're starting early, but it's very long. Well, this is one you can rent at any time, and watch on demand for three days after - so I've rented it. Hey, it's cheaper than your average NT production..

No comments:

Post a Comment