Wednesday 27 January 2021

TV Series: Little Fires Everywhere (Episode 1)

TV was decent on Sunday, so I watched that instead. Tonight, however, with nothing on tv again, I turned to Amazon Prime again for Little Fires Everywhere, a miniseries with Reese Witherspoon. She's the perfect mom in a small American town: beautiful house, beautiful and well-ordered family. Until an African-American woman, played by Kerry Washington, and her daughter move to town. Scruffy, not well-to-do, disordered - she's the antithesis of Reese Witherspoon's withering rota of chores, and rules to be obeyed for the sake of it. She's actually not that keen on the place, until she discovers that her daughter is fitting in, and decides that maybe she should give her some stability, for once. So we get a series.

Evidently some sort of examination of the nature of motherhood, it's based on a book. And apparently, the writer co-produced the TV series, with the aforementioned stars. And I just watched the first episode. And..

I won't be watching the rest. (Although I was nosy enough to peek ahead at the plot.) I'm just not into that kind of drama - certainly not on screen, anyway. Might have preferred the written version. On screen, I prefer something with more plot, maybe some humour.. I didn't find a single thing in this that interested me, and I went in search of the plot online just to see whether anything does happen in it. Well, it does, later - but I'm not that interested, and I think I'll turn my attention elsewhere, next.

And what's coming up next is Nanook of the North, with Sands Films. They have a decent selection, lately, and this is a silent film from 1922, about the Inuit community. I'll give that a shot on Saturday - if not before.

No comments:

Post a Comment