Sunday 5 July 2020

Play: Les Blancs

On Friday, Up in the Cheap Seats was watching Les Blancs, streamed by the National Theatre. Unable to make it that day, I thought I might watch it today instead.. and so I did, finally.

Why, oh why, does everything have to be so long? Does everyone want a magnum opus? I remember when I was doing my PhD, my supervisor remarked that it was better to have a long one, it looked more impressive - a short one could pass, but it'd be more difficult. More, more, more - and it seems the same is true for playwrights. At least, for productions staged in venues that consider themselves bastions of culture. Like the National. This one is 2.5 hours, I noted, sighing, as I started.. mind you, that does include a 1.5 minute interval, during which we are encouraged to donate to various charities. Don't get me wrong, I completely approve of that.

The action takes place in an unspecified African country that has been colonised by Britain, and centres on a local mission. The local major keeps popping by - an insurgency is brewing, and he's attempting to keep order. As well as the kindly folk who run the place, we have the native house servants, the old, blind, white lady who's spent most of her life in Africa, loves the people, and is beloved by them - and a white American journalist, who's staying for a while to get the feel of the place for what he's writing. Nearby, we meet a local family - the father has just died, the mother died a while ago, the younger son works at the mission - and the older son has just returned from abroad, complete with European wife, and a baby. Whom we never do meet.

The journalist, of course, is there for exposition - he's never been to Africa before, and needs everything explained to him. And everyone fits into pretty standard roles - the mission folk are there to help, the major is predictably racist and reactionary. The chap back from abroad, in his suit, is full of exciting new ideas. But in this Africa, nothing is as it seems..

It's a very atmospheric piece - the set revolves to give us either the mission perspective, or the native one: and the drums set up a rhythmic background. Which we learn not to be entirely comfortable with, as rebellion is brewing. But, sweet Lord, it's long! Never mind cutting half an hour out - I think they could quite comfortably have lost a whole hour of this without even disturbing the narrative! Especially given that everyone, at least initially, conforms to type..

It's not till near the end that things hot up, as the doctor explains to the journalist what's really going on, in an incendiary speech fuelled by Scotch. And he has some very interesting things to say, about the patronising nature of colonialism, the way the locals are kept down - and the necessary consequences of that. One man's terrorist, as they say, is another's freedom fighter - and shortly afterwards, the action explodes quite shockingly, proving his point.

So, my recommendation would be - watch the second half, it eventually gets gripping: and if you skip the first half, you'll still understand everything, but won't have to wade through so much waffle. Showing until 7pm BST on the 29th.

For Saturday, would you believe, they same group are watching something on Amazon Prime Video - which I have a year's subscription to, with the new telecom contract we took out! Hadn't bothered with it till now, but I just activated it - my free Mubi subscription will have ended by then anyway, and I don't think it's worth my paying for. But wouldn't you know it, what the group are watching isn't on the list in Ireland. Rats. Never mind, there's plenty I can watch.. and top-rated in my list at the moment (and available in Ireland) is Belonging: The Truth Behind the Headlines, an exposé of the collusion between UK governments and business, and how it erodes our human rights. Ooh, and for another day, guess what they also have, which I've only seen snippets of..? Fleabag..

No comments:

Post a Comment