Sunday 10 May 2020

Musical: By Jeeves

Today, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - conveniently, an afternoon Meetup, where we were back watching an Andrew Lloyd Webber offering. This time, it was By Jeeves. The discussion afterwards was be on Jitsi, though - so I decided to position myself closer to the router, as I had terrible trouble with this before.

Started a bit early, as usual - which was just as well, with the odd need to leave the computer, and given that I needed to finish in time for the post-show chat. It starts well - you're positioned right in the thick of things, as an audience member for a church hall show, starring Bertie Wooster. As usual, he's ably assisted by his man, Jeeves. The show starts in a surprisingly (for Andrew Lloyd Webber) non-musical way, in slapstick fashion, and when his initial plan of playing the banjo falls through, we're instead taken through an extended anecdote from Wooster's memoirs - which comprises most of the rest of the show. They have to send for another banjo, you see - which arrives in time for the finale.

Ah lordy. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeeves & Wooster do not mix. Don't get me wrong - I love both of them, separately. I used to love the tv show. Someone in the post-show chat remarked that she roared with laughter at the books. We pretty much all agreed that this show, however, just isn't funny. I wondered at the fact that Lloyd Webber was involved in something with so little music - in the beginning, at least. He couldn't find a way to work Jeeves into the music, I think - so when Jeeves features, there is no music.

Soon, we're into a madcap romantic adventure in a country house. Mistaken identities, lots of different pairings - and the songs arrive. I did like one in the middle, about love being like a maze - but overall, this was underwhelming. Also too long - the tv series struck it right, at an hour per episode; this version, at over two hours, is just too much, and I lost interest. Was glad when it was over. Not recommended, and it's unsurprising that I hadn't heard of it before.

For the post-show chat, I didn't find that my change of location did much good - had a thought, and switched to my phone, which was much better. I'll use that for Jitsi in future. But it was great to see, and chat to, everyone!

Tomorrow sees London Literary Walks' next quiz.

And on Saturday, I'm back with UITCS for The Midnight Gang Musical, from Chichester Festival Theatre. And hopefully, Jitsi will work - third time lucky..?

No comments:

Post a Comment