Tuesday 12 February 2019

Dance: Tango Fire

Tonight, Let's Do This was off to Tango Fire at the Peacock. They booked a box, so had a very limited number of seats, and I wasn't in time for theirs - but I got my own ticket, and would meet them for a drink afterwards in the Princess Louise.


The row in front of me actually remained completely empty until some time after the show started. It wasn't to last - after the interval, both that row and the rest of mine had vanished! Whether they got seats further down - like the girls on the outside of my row - or just left, I cannot say. But if it was on foot of the first half - well, I have to take exception. Their loss, actually..

The first half was a blizzard of highly kicked legs, half of which wore high heels as well.. and afterwards we wondered how they managed to escape uninjured. Terrific coordination between the ladies in the jewel-coloured dresses, and the besuited men. And I, for one, felt terribly inadequate.

But it was the second half that shone - good grief, the oohs and ahhs and gasps from the crowd would alert you to what was happening! The gents were flinging the ladies around - spinning them around their heads, rolling them across the floor - if they weren't bruised, they should have been! This, you might call tango Xtreme - acrobatic, passionate, violent performances throughout, well deserving of the standing ovation at the end. A truly spectacular show - and as the group organiser remarked afterwards, how on earth were the seats not all filled? Well, you have now been told, if not before. Runs till Saturday, with a matinee on the last day - go buy! You shall not regret it.

And so to the highly ornate pub, where a most convivial time was had - complete with rather decent house white, and some rather good crisps. 'Tis the difference between Meetup groups, you know, the social element - and I have to say that this is among the best. Met new faces tonight, and felt as much at home as ever.



Ironically, it's a week when, as I say, I have fewer distractions than recently, with my boss away and unable to distract me at the office. And yet I am unbooked. Never fear, I never don't have a plan.. Tomorrow (and for the rest of the week, indeed!) I'm thinking of film. But anyway, for tomorrow I'm thinking of catching up with Burning. You know, the one I missed last week because we were sampling the office wine? Anyway, not showing in the Vue Islington anymore - tomorrow, I'll have to head down to the BFI for it. Not overbooked yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment