Sunday 25 November 2018

Winter Wonderland 2018

Well, Christmas starts here - today, I was back at last to Winter Wonderland! This evening, I booked for Cirque Berserk - an annual tradition for me. The 8pm show was the cheapest, so that's the one I booked. Calculated when to leave so that I'd have enough time beforehand, but not too much, in the cold.

The journey there, by two buses, was a story of buses just missed and alternatives coming along shortly afterwards - and it was lovely to pass the Christmas lights around Piccadilly Circus. Pity I'm not doing a lights tour this year. I damn near got out there for a look. Anyway, it wasn't long before I was passing through the gates to Hyde Park again. Now, they do warn about crowds at the weekend - sure enough, the "green" entrance just at Hyde Park Corner was so packed that we were ushered along to the "much larger" "blue", Knightsbridge, entrance. Where we shuffled along for 20 minutes to our bag searches. En route, we were entertained by the screams from the "Hangover" ride, a drop tower that overshadows the trees nearby.

Funnily enough, of all the years I've been here, this is the first time I've been on a weekend. Oh dear, it was manic - probably best avoided. Nowhere could I turn but I was faced with buggies, slow movers, people stopping randomly. One drunk young lady decided I was her best friend. And it's massive, so even if you know where you're going, it takes forever to get there.. and you don't know, because all the high structures block the view! I couldn't even see the big top until I was practically tripping over it.



More photos - and videos - here. Well, I finally found the market, tucked away among all the rides and food stalls, and bought a couple of nice presents - so I was a lot happier. And by that stage, it was nearly time to head to the big top for the circus, especially given how slow it was to move. On the way, I stopped in at one of the many toilet facilities - kudos to them, there are plenty, and they're in pretty great condition. Particularly for such a high volume of customers!

So, I made the big top about 15 minutes before showtime - a little later than the 20 suggested, but still early enough to be nearly at the head of the queue. It was lovely and warm. Unfortunately, this was due to the massive air vent, which I ended up standing right in front of. We could hear the last show, still in progress - running late, as you can expect from a show that runs hourly. It was nearly 8 by the time we were let in, and I took a central seat, for once.


They now start with the bikes in the cage, as well as finish - these are obviously the big draw. The crowd agree, and hardly bothered to applaud the aerialists that come next - a classic case of "follow that!". They have a juggler, doing his act on top of a moving buggy - unfortunately, at our show he was probably a bit tired, and dropped a couple. Happily, not the burning torches. A nice addition to this year's show is the magician, who performs several tricks throughout, with great aplomb. There's a talented wirewalker, an impressive bmx biker, and an acrobat in a wheelchair, who performs charmingly together with a strongman. Of course, at the end, we're back to the bikes again, building up to five of them, whizzing around the iron globe like angry hornets, the highlight being when the globe splits apart as they're still going. The lady beside me obviously hadn't seen that before, and gasped. I see they had enough business to put on an extra show - there was another queue to get in as we left.

Now, when I was printing out my ticket for this (as you must), I noticed a new attraction this year - the Magical Ice Kingdom (Secret Forest), which looked good. With several timed entry slots throughout the day, I'd decided to leave it until I got there to see what my schedule was like - I hadn't had time before the circus to think about it, but I headed along now, got a ticket for the 9pm slot, which had just started.

They say to leave half an hour for this, but I raced through it in 10 minutes. Mind you, that was because they keep the temperature at a balmy -10C.. the exhibit is spectacular! Not just in the skill required to produce these works, but the sheer imagination! This "Secret Forest" has your usual forest creatures, but also fairies, fauns.. and some spectacular works of art. Various photo opportunities are presented, but I passed. Seriously though, this is unmissable.



Exit is through the gift shop. More importantly, exit from the gift shop is through The Explorer's Rest pub.. which is where the alcoholic hot chocolate is to be found this year! A choice of a shot of amaretto, Bailey's, brandy, fireball, or orange liqueur, which I went for - just the thing to warm your cold bones after the ice display! So there's a highly recommended itinerary - ice display, followed by hot chocolate with your choice of shot. Cream optional, straws available. Winter Wonderland runs till the 6th of January - enjoy!

Outside, I waited forever for a bus, only for the one I wanted to disgorge its passengers and sail past without a by or leave. Checking the website, it turns out there is a disruption to service until Tuesday, because of the installation of Christmas lights. Well, it's in a good cause - but they could have mentioned it on the stops! After that, I gave up and took the (overcrowded) Tube. Crowd control at Hyde Park Corner station urged us to the end of the platform - which would have been fine, if we'd been able to squeeze through the crowds! Anyway, I was rather glad I didn't try to squeeze on the first one that came, because afterwards the platform emptied out, and I could head down to the end - where he turned out to be telling the truth. Head to the end if you want a seat..

Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Programme Three of Pinter at the Pinter - Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre. This time, it's Landscape / A Kind of Alaska / Monologue.

On Tuesday, I'm going to see Company, by Sondheim, at the Gielgud. No tickets available for the upper levels on the official site - they must all have been bought up by resellers! Cheapest I found was with OfficialLondonTheatre, run by See Tickets.

On Wednesday, I was with Walking in London again for the Haunted London Pub Tour (also Lantern Ghost Tours, via Funzing). But we've now arranged our team night out for that night.

ON Thursday, I'm back with UITCS at the National for Hadestown. Then back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 3rd, I'm back to the National for I'm Not Running.

On the 4th, I'm off to the Bush, for Drip.

On the 5th, LDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions (both Funzing) advertised a "Winterville" talk on The Science of Santa, where we get the scientific explanation of how he does it. Taking place at The Windmill. However, seems they meant the day before, when of course I'm busy. So instead I'm going to True West, with Kit Harington, at the Vaudeville. Cheapest tickets from the venue. 

On the 6th, Hazel of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsLondon Guided Walks (and, indeed, Walking in London) has a Christmas Carol Tour. Now, the last two events I booked with her turned out to be no-shows.. the first might not have been her fault, as she was advertising someone else's event, but the second, she just missed the ball on and left three of us standing on a street corner. Whether this event happens is anyone's guess! Now, it's technically more expensive if you book on Funzing - but if you have my discount (Funzing_Fb20) ;-) it comes down to the same price she charges on her own site, without the booking fee! So I did it that way. But then Henning, with the London European Club, advertised a Happy Xmaths evening at Imperial College, the same night! Festive fun for maths geeks. Plus it's free - you just have to register with Eventbrite. (I see London Social Detours is also doing it now - for a fee. Funny, I wouldn't have put her down as mathsy! Oh, also London Science and Geek Chic Socials.) Anyway, I thought it'd be great to get back with this group. And since I booked the walk with Funzing, I've cancelled and will get a full refund. And I feel no sadness at missing an evening with Hazel, after what's been happening. But gee, this evening is proving to be one of the more popular- now a colleague has booked it for his leaving do. So I'm now going to that instead. Nibbles arranged at The Enterprise.  

On the 7th, back with UITCS at the Royal Court, for The Cane. Got the very last ticket, phew!

On the 8th, with them again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer.

On the 9th, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, a full afternoon of Sufi legend.

On the 10th, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson! Our new starter saw it during the week, and proclaimed it "weird". Well, weird is good.

On the 11th, I was going with North London Friends to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems! And then, the Crick Crack Club sent around an advertising email - and damnit if they haven't arranged a meeting that night! The House of Nine Lives is at the British Library, and has Nell PhoenixTim Ralphs, and TUUP talking about pussycats. Irresistible. However, I don't get my money back for the play unless they sell on the ticket - hopefully they can.

The 12th is our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This has now advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars.

On the 13th, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment