Sunday 12 August 2018

Pub: The Star

Just back from Helen's, where there was a party yesterday. A few spots of rain didn't do much to spoil what was an excellent day, and weekend - finishing today, with lunch. Sunday lunches are popular, of course, so our choice was limited - we duly ended up in The Star, in Godalming. Not the most convenient for her, but space was limited, as I say, and it does have the advantage of a direct train link to London, for me.


A charming little pub on one of the town's several charming, windy little streets - no on-street parking, you need one of the car parks: free on Sundays, anyway. Our table was just inside the door - cute little easels mark the reservation name, and time. When we booked, we were warned that the roasts can sell out - we were in luck, however, and two of us had the roast beef, the other the burger. Piping hot plates, large portions, and really tasty (although the beef was a little sinewy). For dessert after, two of us had the chocolate chip sponge, one with custard, me with ice cream; I was glad of the ice cream (the cake was incendiary!). More of a chocolate pudding, actually, and drenched with chocolate sauce: we agreed that it was deliciously rich, without being too heavy.

Really good food then, decently priced. Reservations definitely required - on Sundays at least. By the time we finished, they were removing menus and condiments from the tables - lunch finishes at 2.30, and evening snacks are only available Monday to Thursday. But if you're in the area at lunchtime.. definitely worth a visit. Oh, and they've won West Surrey and Hampshire's cider pub of the year award - for the sixth year in a row! So you could have that with your lunch.. 

Back by train then, and bus home.. on which the driver was as intrigued as I was by sounds of loud gasping and groaning from the back! Tomorrow, I was back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance. However, then I got roped into a late evening meeting, so given that this was free - and I wasn't that pushed - I'm now going to Love Lab, at the Tristan Bates Theatre. Which starts a lot later.

On Tuesday, with nothing on Meetup that I was interested in (and hadn't done), I'm headed with my £3.60 club to a play called Faith & Heresy, at The Bread & Roses in Clapham. Meetup is pretty quiet this week, given that many of Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) are up at the Edinburgh Fringe.

On Wednesday - sorry, London Literary Walks, you didn't advertise early enough! Instead, I'm off with North London Friends for Things of Dry Hours, at the Young Vic.

On Thursday, I'm headed to Soho Theatre for The One. Then back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On the 20th, I'm going with UITCS to the Arcola, for Elephant Steps.

On the 21st, the £3.60 club is providing me with a ticket to see Aprile Millo perform at Cadogan Hall. Gotta say, terrific value for something whose official prices start at £35!

And on the 22nd, again, off with UITCS to the Camden Fringe. We're seeing Secondhand Stories and Whimsy, two short plays at The Lion and Unicorn. I would have been missing an evening with London Literary Walks that day, but he's now moved it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment