Tuesday 4 July 2023

Film: Hello, Bookstore

Tonight, was thinking film again - and top of the list was Hello, Bookstore, a documentary in the Curzon Bloomsbury again.

Glad not to have to go too far, on what was a rainy day. I had to run around getting things to post my laptop back to work - they're supposed to be collecting it tomorrow. I've ordered a new one - they really do get cheaper all the time - but they can't guarantee delivery before Saturday. Well, whatever, this is probably the last post I can write on the work one (my old one gave up the ghost months ago). After this, I'll be packing it up and saying sayonara.. So, we'll see how I feel about writing posts on my mobile, before the new laptop arrives. If it's too much trouble, you might have to wait until Saturday (or Sunday) for the next instalment..

After all that, there wasn't time to eat beforehand - so I went straight to the cinema, and had my usual wine and chocolate honeycomb bites. Funny thing is, I'll probably still be coming here on occasion after I move - so much is on here exclusively! Not this film, although from either my new or my old flat, this cinema is the closest it's showing in.. Well, I settled into my comfy seat and started on my "pre-dinner". The one thing I've often remarked on here is that there are no drink holders - so it's quite unnerving, trying to manage a drink as well as chocolates, a coat, a bag.. I usually use the seat beside me as a table. Handily, there's hardly ever anyone booked to sit in it - and the last time there was, she took one look and agreed to sit somewhere else..

Well, the film is a loving look at a bookstore called The Bookstore, in Lenox, Massachusetts. Which has been run by the same chap since 1976! And a more loving bookstore owner you could not find. It truly looks like one of those places you could happily spend a day browsing in - they have lots of nooks and crannies, and comfy seats to snuggle in.. and a wine bar at the back, thank you! where the owner also acts as bartender. Now, he has a fascinating story about the man in whose honour this wine bar was opened - I won't go into it, but this bookstore owner is a man full of stories! He's always in the middle of a book - and happy to pore through his collection for exactly the right one for a customer. Not only that, he can probably give an anecdote about it - perhaps quote half of it to you!

The film, however, starts in the sad days of the pandemic, where everyone is wearing a mask, and the front door is locked - people browse only through the window, or on the website, and put their orders in by phone or email. He then posts the books, or people show up and he puts them on a stool outside. Card payments only, and the details are communicated through the door. We also find out how badly his business was affected - he only did about a day's worth of normal business in a week. So he started a GoFundMe campaign - and wouldn't you know it, the good people of the community gave him the funds he needed in under a day! Now, that's what I call community spirit.

The film also introduces us to his family - and a few customers willing to be put on camera! There's one endearingly candid shot where he's talking to someone on the right of screen - but in the background, on the left, are a completely star-struck couple, grinning inanely at the camera and frozen stiff! It's a tellingly true moment.

Really, if you love books, if you've ever happily browsed a bookshop, you should go see this - it's absolutely charming. And all I can say is, if I find myself in the area, I am so paying a visit..

Ate at Nando's after, and how cosy it was to be inside looking out at the rain..

Next, two more days with UITCS - well, they book so much stuff! Tomorrow, it's Robin Hood: The Legend - Rewritten, at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Today's rain is supposed to clear overnight, fingers crossed..


On Friday, London Baroque Music Lovers lately advertised a concert, by La Nuova Musica, at St. Martin-in-the-Fields, of Handel's Coronation Music. Oh, lovely - I found this music so moving at the recent coronation! My sometime companion from UITCS suggests we eat there beforehand - which is fine, as long as we can find each other!

Saturday could be a landmark moment - could I get my four ex-colleagues together in a room at the same time?! So far, so good - nobody's yet said they can't make it - although one is worried about the planned train strikes. And although I'm already supposed to have moved, well, I'm between places - particularly with the constant mix-ups with my keys! so I just booked The Lucas Arms again.

On Sunday, heading with Cultureseekers, for a Historic Hampstead Treasure Hunt. We'll be split into groups, apparently, and the clues relate to historical plaques and the likes in the area. Official guides not allowed to participate. Hmm - how much can I remember from Laurence's walk there..?

On Monday, booked with TAC for an interesting-sounding show - Blood, Gold and Oil is about Lawrence of Arabia, and showing at Riverside Studios. Part of their "Bitesize Theatre" series.

Next Tuesday, back with UITCS - really excited to see The Pillowman, by Martin McDonagh, at the Duke of York's Theatre.

On the 12th, back with the World Music Meetup (and Tuned In London) for a concert by the Scottish/Zambian singer Namvula, at City Hope Church. Tickets through Billetto. And yes, closer to my new place, so it'd be really nice to be able to stay there that night..

On the 13th, back with UITCS for Cuckoo, at The Royal Court. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 17th, back with UITCS for Song from Far Away, at Hampstead Theatre. I suspect this is one that Meetup just declined to notify me about.. I don't remember seeing it advertised before, although it's been up for a while.

On the 18th, I've signed up for the Epic Film Location London Tour Part 1, with London Socials, a new group to me.

And on the 19th, another new group - London Circus Cabaret and Burlesque Meetup is headed to Fool's Moon, a drag circus act at Soho Theatre. Meeting beforehand at the Nellie Dean - aw man, it's ages since I was at these places! I'm the only person to join, at time of writing..

No comments:

Post a Comment