Saturday 13 March 2021

Ballet: Sleeping Beauty

Today, Up in the Cheap Seats watched a performance of The Sleeping Beauty, streamed from the Opera House, and available for rental for £3 in the UK, tax added outside the UK. So I booked that, and just watched. Available till the 28th.

Looking back in my records, I see it's about four years since I saw this! Wow, doesn't feel like it. It's so familiar.. the ornate costumes, the iconic music, that famous dance sequence where she pirouettes in place, taking the hand of one suitor after another, for balance.. the image of the ballerina in the music box. Really, you can't find a more classic ballet - full fairytale. And this is a recording of an actual, live performance - remember those?

So, after a relaxing afternoon watching the ballet, I logged on for a nice, long chat with the organiser - lovely to see her again, after what's been a long time. And I even met the cat! It's a pity I don't get to more Meetups.

The same group is actually watching Behind the Beautiful Forevers, a National Theatre production set in the slums of Mumbai, tomorrow - in conjunction with a group from Toronto, it seems! Too late for me, though. Still, I've rented it to watch on my own - I have three days from when I click the link in the mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment