Saturday 9 January 2021

Musical: Ruthless

This evening, Up in the Cheap Seats is watching Michael Ball perform a Heroes concert, full of showtunes, on The Shows Must Go On. However, this is only in some parts of the world - here, they're showing us Ruthless, the musical that spoofs musicals. It'd be great to see a musical again, it's been a while - and hey, I couldn't have watched with the group anyway, they're watching too late for me..

And yes, it is great to see a musical! A Broadway production, it has a bit of everything - as you might expect. Marvellous performances as we watch Shirley Temple's evil twin plot and scheme her way to the lead role - no surprise that it's once she gets it, the show takes off! I particularly loved grandma's number, "I hate musicals". Had it all been that good, I'd have been more entertained. So - I didn't find it laugh-out-loud hilarious, but I did chuckle. Amusing entertainment for a cold afternoon. Showing until 7pm tomorrow, GMT.

Tomorrow, looking like film again - and Amazon Prime kindly sent me an advertising email while I was watching Ruthless. Some highly rated stuff - so I'll give it a shot! Highest among them - that I'd be interested in - is Good Omens, a sci-fi comedy about the end of the world. Somebody has triggered Armageddon, it seems, and it's up to an angel (Michael Sheen) and a demon (David Tennant) to stop it. Frances McDormand is God, Miranda Richardson plays the hapless medium who represents the first recorded case of angelic possession. Based on a book co-written by Terry Pratchett, it looks quite clever - and I do love that the Antichrist is a small boy. Seems so appropriate. Anyway, I love that kind of stuff - and end-of-the-world stories seem so appropriate, these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment