Wednesday 15 April 2020

Opera: The Bartered Bride

Another underwhelming night for telly. As for Meetup, Up in the Cheap Seats was running two events - neither of which I could make at the time, but either of which I could make later! I started off with a modern dance performance from Sadler's Wells, called Rain - but found about 10 minutes of it to be enough (it's quite repetitive), and switched to their other event - an opera called The Bartered Bride, by Smetana.

I don't know a lot of Smetana - but I do like what I've heard, and sure enough, the score for this opera is very pleasant. And the story is charming - your standard romantic comedy of errors, where a young woman is in love with someone, but about to be married off to someone else, to settle a debt. However, her boyfriend has a cunning plan.. but there'll be some reversals of fortune before they skip happily off into the sunset. I passed a pleasant enough couple of hours watching this - only thing is, it does drag on..! Also, it's rather curious to see an opera sung in what I presume is Czech, but set in what appears to be England in the 50s.. it's just that one scene, in the typical English pub, picture of the Queen on the wall, that jars..!

Nothing else planned till Saturday - but as usual, watch this space. I'm thinking film for then, again.. still haven't watched Planet Earth's next-highest rated episode, #3: Fresh Water!

No comments:

Post a Comment