Monday 1 October 2018

Play: Every Day I Make Greatness Happen

Tonight, back with North London Friends for Every Day I Make Greatness Happen, at Hampstead Theatre - which I'd heard great things about. Nice to get a group discount, too. And not even my evening work meeting happened - the company has just axed most of that team, so meetings are suspended indefinitely, it seems. Pity nobody saw fit to let us know where things stand! Anyway, there was therefore nothing in the way of me getting there in time.

Still, I ended up on the Tube - bus would just take too long, so close to rush hour. Ugh. Stifling on the Northern Line, worse on the Jubilee - that has to be my least favourite line. We were packed in like sardines as far as Waterloo, where lots got off and at least I got some oxygen - and further on, finally, a seat. Happy days.

So, it's Exit 2 from Swiss Cottage, for the theatre - pity I didn't remember that earlier, as I came out the wrong entrance again. It's not far, though, and I was soon ordering wine. Funnily enough, it didn't occur to me to specify a large glass, nor to the server to pour me one - medium, I got. Mind you, I was still feeling a bit woozy after the Tube - I'm a terrible stander at the best of times, and I find the air quality down there atrocious - and that's before you remove the oxygen. So, less was more on this occasion - and I was glad that someone in the group had grabbed a table, with plenty of chairs, at the back. Not bad going, considering how packed the lobby was for The Humans, whose run is now completely sold out, I believe!


We had a nice chat before it was time to go and queue - this is showing downstairs, and has unreserved seating. Like when we were here once before, the stage is in the middle, tiered seating on either side - unlike before, however, this time the stage is not enclosed behind glass.. which would become relevant. The whole thing takes place in a classroom, the whiteboard at the side you come in. We took a front row, and I was by the far wall - careful leaning against it, it's not quite solid! and at various points, I could hear whisperings and rustlings from behind it.

Just five characters in this - three students taking remedial English because they failed it in their GCSEs, their harassed teacher, and the head, who pops his head around the door from time to time to cause a nuisance. In his behaviour, he reminded me somewhat of David Brent.. same pot belly, too. He's responsible for the title, BTW - it's a twee inspirational phrase he encourages his staff to use. As for the students, you have the quiet one who's into films, the pretty one, and the class clown. Boy, that class clown is hilarious! Responsible for the funniest parts of the play, he's also just like so many people you've met through your life. Something of a bully too, I'm afraid, picking on the quiet lad who's trying to mind his own business. When the girl arrives, she attracts the attention of both. Meantime, the teacher is vainly trying to get someone's - anyone's - attention to focus on their school work. In a rickety school building.

This could have been so clichéd. We've seen dozens, hundreds, of stories like this, coming-of-age stories with troubled family backgrounds. This is something different. Written by an ex-teacher, it rings with realistic anecdotes: and as we get to know the characters, not one of them behaves as you might have expected at the beginning. Like all the best plays, the characters' personalities and backstories develop, and in a play with plenty of surprises, we are gripped as we wonder where it's going to end up. Do beware of the front row - you might get, eh, splashed!

Beautifully acted, believable, intermittently hilarious. Runs till the 20th - highly recommended. Afterwards, we repaired to the lobby bar again, where we got our table back, and the most generous provision of a couple of bottles of wine! Red, for once - this was a Romanian wine, it seems, called Cosmina, which turned out to be far too drinkable! And the evening ended most convivially, with discussions of schooldays past and present, and even a cross-pollination of Meetup groups from across the bar - they'd just been to The Humans.

Although the bar closed at 11, they were slow to throw us out, so it was some time after that we staggered into the night. Me, I took the bus back - two of them, actually, as I had to change to the #214. I've had trouble with this one before, shooting past the stop, tearing down the middle of the road.. sure enough, by the time I could discern the number, it was almost upon me, and when I shot out my arm, it had to swerve dramatically towards me! The drama continued as it lurched off while I was making for my seat. I'd have complained the driver, except that at the next stop, he got out to help a little old lady on with her shopping trolley, so he can't have been all bad.

Tomorrow, another thing I've heard great things about - I'm taking myself to Eugenius, at The Other Palace. Finally, after all the praise I've heard of it.. This theatre used to be known as St. James', and is dreadful for legroom - take an aisle seat if you're at all lanky of leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment