Tuesday 27 March 2018

Talk: Why the Universe Shouldn't Exist

With nothing much on Meetup for yesterday, I was thinking of a film: but gee, Makala came top again. Or a film called Raid, whose closest showing was in Shepherds Bush at 10.05pm! So, film not enthusing me - instead, back with Funzing (via London Speaks Sessions), for a "dim sum talk" about "Why the Universe Shouldn't Exist". Should be interesting. Oh, and LDN Talks @ Night then advertised the same thing, so I signed up with them as well. They also offered a 10% discount code.. but then, I did already get a 10% discount. 

Sure enough, during the day, both Meetup groups cancelled the Meetup. Predictable, but weird - what is it with them? Do they not want it on record? I've actually had them cancel Meetups that were in progress. Anyway, I checked, and Funzing was still running it - so off I went. Now, I've been in Ping Pong before - didn't help with getting to it, as I was coming from the other side, but it did help with finding my way once I was inside. Talks are all the way down in the basement, and it's not hugely obvious where you're going - they could do with a sign or two. On this occasion, they didn't open the downstairs bar, so I had to get a drink upstairs and bring it down with me.

The basement wasn't terribly crowded when I arrived, but the chairs were so packed that it was difficult to make your way to the back - so I didn't, and took pretty much the same seat as last time I was a talk here, at the front. A spare seat beside me gave me room to leave stuff on. I'd arrived at around the time the doors opened, and it was a while before they got started, so I spent my time booking stuff ahead - of which more anon. When they did get going, I was to be glad the mc wasn't giving the talk - he was incomprehensible! Happily, the actual speaker was much clearer - despite a dicky mic, which kept cutting out.. and not to mention the typical hubbub from upstairs. Typical Funzing - they claim on the website that they use "carefully curated" venues, but many of their talk venues are just not fit for purpose.

The talk, however, was pure gold. Delivered by Harry Cliff, who works at CERN as well as holding a joint fellowship with the University of Cambridge and the Science Museum, it was absolutely packed with technical detail - but, as you'd also expect from someone who presents often, it was quite accessible, and peppered with humour. I really don't think I've ever been at a talk before where quarks, the building blocks of matter, as he said, were explained so thoroughly. 

His basic premise was to describe how the standard model does a wonderful job of describing the universe as it is - explaining how, for example, it predicts the existence of the recently discovered Higgs-Boson particle (he showed a picture of the jubilant lecture where that was announced, pointing out how this is how particle physicists look when they get excited). It decays very fast, see, which is what makes it so elusive. Also known as the "God particle", it is the particle that gives mass to matter.. (sort of). Okay great! The standard model breaks down in extreme cases, however - which, to be fair, is true of most models - and can't explain why, not only is the expansion of the universe not slowing down.. it's speeding up!

Now, he did mention a number in relation to this particle, which I think was 286, and to my shame, I cannot remember what that relates to! I do remember that he pointed out that scientists are very suspicious about such a precise number, and that if it went too far in one direction, we'd just have a universe full of black holes, and too far in the other direction would leave us with a universe just full of featureless static. "Too far" mightn't be very far, either. Pity I can't remember what it is.. and just as well I don't have my hand on the dial that controls it! Answers on a postcard, please..

At the interval, I nipped to the loo, which is down a labyrinthine hallway, "Staff Only" on all the doors you're not to take - usefully. When I got back, our dim sum had arrived - and it was lucky I'd been before and knew what it all was, as no-one was in a hurry to tell us. Very nice food, though.

A terrific talk (even if I can't remember all the details) was followed by a Q+A, where questions were nicely mixed with the daft and the sensible. I am so glad that I happened upon this - there had been so little on for yesterday, but this guy is well worth listening to, and I recommend heading to see him if you get the chance. As an aside, I've had a cough for the last damned month, and California just made it worse, would you believe - mercifully, although I did get a persistent fit of coughing during this, it wasn't until near the end of the Q+A. After a cold wait for the bus, when I got home, I got into such a flurry of booking things that I decided to leave the blog for today, it'd take so long just to describe what's coming up!

Tonight, back with Funzing - a Walking in London tour of Ghosts of the Old City. (Yes, it's different to the last one..) I presume they won't cancel this during the day. For both of these events, got a 10% discount - they alternate between the codes crazy_fun and LoveFun, these days.

Tomorrow, back at a proper Meetup at last, to the Park Theatre with Up in the Cheap Seats for the opening night of Pressure. Then I'm back to Ireland (yes, again!) for Easter, flying back to London on Monday. I see there's a treat for BBC viewers - Andrew Scott's Hamlet, from last year, is being broadcast on BBC2 on Saturday. Interesting choice for Easter. I just wonder whether his performance will be as electrifying on screen as it was live.. Man with the Hat, if you're reading, make sure to watch this! I know you would have loved to see it live.

Next Tuesday, Meetup is throwing up a couple of things I'd have been interested in - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to the ballet at the Opera House, and North London Friends is off to see a play called Black Men Walking at the Royal Court. And wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to checking, they were both sold out! Blast. (Mind you, I read a not-great review of the play, last night). Although there seemed subsequently to be some tickets left for the ballet, which is now sold out again. Anyway, in the meantime, I got the last £15 ticket - from the official website - for Bat Out of Hell, in the Dominion Theatre. Rear stalls - not so shabby. Should be fun. Then a couple more events were advertised that I'd have been interested in - too late, guys, I usually book earlier than that!

On the 4th, I'm headed (finally, it's been so long!) to see the Crick Crack Club perform The Gods and Monsters Show at Rich Mix. Now, I don't know what's with the head of their Meetup group, but she seems to think it's on two days later - I did comment on the event page to that effect. Just check the venue website, as I then said. Or indeed, the Crick Crack Club's own website. Daft woman hasn't changed it yet. Not that it wouldn't have suited me to have it on another day - I'd be missing London Literary Walksfirst outing of the year, damnit! But it's for a very good cause..

Then I checked, and wouldn't you know it, he subsequently shifted the walk to the 5th! Seems he now works alternating shifts, so dates can change at short notice. Well, this one worked out great for me. Sadly, I'll be missing North London Friends' trip to the Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks - well, you can't have everything. I'd never be up to Crouch End in time after the walk.

On the 6th, with nothing much on Meetup, I booked - with my £3.60 club, when they finally put something on - for Banana Crabtree Simon, at the Drayton Arms. A play about dementia, it might be terrible, but I can give it a try.

On the 7th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Inheritance, at the Young Vic - both parts, so the whole day! With each part running to about 3.5 hours, I hope it's worth it.. Vanessa Redgrave takes part (only in Part II).

On the 8th, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London again. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it's hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there are still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all.

On the 9th, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On the 10th, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On the 11th, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican.

On the 12th, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! And he seems to prefer Thursdays, which are working out better for me so far. This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night. For the 20th, one of the group is looking to sell her ticket, if you're interested - I didn't see that until I'd got mine.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is called Ghosts of the Old City.

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

And on the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment