Wednesday 1 November 2017

Film: Brexitannia

Not so much on Meetup appealed for tonight - so I decided to go to a film. And leading the charge on my film list was Brexitannia, advertised as the first documentary on Brexit! Includes Noam Chomsky on the list of participants, looked interesting. Just a pity that the only place it was showing was in East Dulwich! Never mind, I can get a bus straight there.. in about an hour.. Included a Q+A with the director, and I was delighted to see that they just tell you straight out how many seats are left! I do like not having to book, and commit myself - and pay a booking fee..

My plans stayed fixed - and with a late start to the film, I stayed late in the office too. The bus, for once, arrived on time, and I hunkered down for a long journey. Was intrigued by the small army of white-haired, little old ladies who got on at St. Martin's Place - and got off at the next stop, which was for Charing Cross. I'm guessing they'd just been at a show, and were all headed back on trains from there. Anyway, lovely to see them all heading out in a group like that!

After Elephant & Castle, I was in terra incognita - but I did make it eventually to where Google Maps told me to get off, and there was the Picturehouse, ahead on the right. And lo, the bus stop outside would do me to get home! Ideal. It seems to be a converted church, with high, arched windows - inside, I was most impressed by the decor, all little nooks and crannies with comfy-looking armchairs in every corner. Got my ticket, followed the signs - I was in Screen Two, which is upstairs. And once I'd climbed the stairs, I found myself on a balcony overlooking the downstairs area, more armchairs, and the screen just there. It was now nearly showtime, but we waited politely for an usher to show up and let us in. Seating is unassigned, and I sat fairly forward - gosh, the seats are fantastically comfortable, plush, amazing legroom: and would you believe it, pullman. And cheaper than most in the city centre.. mmm, if only it weren't so far out!

The writer/director gave a brief speech beforehand to remind us he'd be there after, and we were into the trailers - slightly late. Saw the new Star Wars trailer for the first time! and a clever ad for Classic FM. And so to the feature.

Shot in black and white, it's deceptively simple. After showing us a picture of the ballot sheet, it takes us through a whole round of snippets of interviews with members of the public. All human life is there - some I'd happily have coffee with, some I'd run screaming from. Various shades of opinion are expressed, some very non-pc. Stand-out memories for me include the British woman of Indian heritage, telling us how a stranger hurled racial abuse at her, the day after Brexit, as she was dropping off her 12-year-old daughter at school. Her daughter, who'd never heard such things before, was traumatised for weeks afterwards, and her classmates - many of foreign nationality - were really worried about their futures. She herself said she didn't feel safe any more.

But it isn't all doom and gloom - when one guy points at his (white) skin and says "that, that's British", it's funny to see his friend visibly wince and exclaim, "You can't say that!", shifting away from him on the sofa. There's a Scot, talking about the referendum for Scottish independence, there are two Welsh guys - one who points out that he doesn't fit the stereotype, as he's not into rugby.. immediately followed by one who's not only a rugby fan, but sings us a rugby anthem!

It's all beautifully shot, and the interviews veer away from Brexit specifically, and into the wider question of the economy. And just when you're thinking you've had enough of this line of discussion with no resolution - up come the experts! and there are interviews with them instead. There are about seven, but I only recognised one - Noam Chomsky kicks it off with an interesting snippet on how he believes that the neoliberal philosophy is at the root of all the trouble we see with modern society, and how it's led society to shift to the right, what with its sacrifice of humanity in favour of market forces. We then have a very interesting take on the connection between refugees and bottled water! and a timely reminder that, when those in power try to divide us from our neighbours, they're likely trying to distract us from their own shortcomings. Someone makes the point that, since 1974, no British government has been elected that did not have the support of Rupert Murdoch.. who, by the way, was for Brexit. Quite simply, as he said himself, he wanted Britain separated from Europe, because Downing Street does as he says and Brussels doesn't.

Really, this film presents a most comprehensive analysis, quite sensitively. For once, I do believe we have a documentary that deserves its high rating! (9.1/10 on IMDB, at time of writing.) This was a one-off showing - do try to get to see it if you can, this is something everyone really should see. I'd have loved to stay for the Q+A, but was conscious of how long it'd take me to get home. And glad that my bus came pretty quick, given how cold it was, outside!

Tomorrow, back with Meetup for the first time in a week: and both tomorrow and on Friday, I'm headed to Sadler's Wells with Up in the Cheap Seats. Tomorrow, it's Ellipsis Land, and Friday, it's a mixed programme from the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Saturday, Helen is coming to town, so doubtless we'll get up to some shenanigans! That evening, I'm off with Walking in London (hence Funzing) on a Hampstead to Highgate Haunted Pub Tour! She can't depend on the trains, so can't really commit to that - I don't blame her, they're worse than Irish ones! (which is saying something). The tour will take a while, but includes a pub crawl, so that's forgivable. "crazy_fun" is the current 10% discount code, BTW. I also see they've now switched their loyalty scheme to cover anything booked online - much more efficient, as it automatically credits you!

On Sunday, the Crick Crack Club is back, with Hugh Lupton telling the tale of Beowulf at the British Museum - sold out by now, I believe, and no wonder.

On Monday, I'm at the RSC's MMXVII season at the Barbican, seeing Coriolanus with Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Tuesday, I'm with the London European Club (LEC), at the Royal Festival Hall for a "Night Under the Stars" - Russian Soul.

Next Wednesday and on the 9th, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again - Wednesday for Saint George and the Dragon, at the National. Which sounds like fun. On the 9th, we're off to Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 13th, the Crick Crack Club returns to Soho Theatre for an evening called Under the Eyes of Baron Samedi, courtesy of Jan Blake. Delighted to say I persuaded a couple of friends to come along! Hope they enjoy it. Also delighted that the crazy woman isn't coming - despite being a fan of Jan Blake, she couldn't make this.

On the 14th, Up in the Cheap Seats again, and we're off to The Secondary Victim, at the Park Theatre.

On the 15th, I'm finally back with The London Jazz Meetup, to see Ben l' Oncle Soul at Cadogan Hall. Really, I'd go with them much more often, but there's so much else on..!

On the 16th, I'm back at Sadler's Wells with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Hunted Maud Le Pladec / Okwui Okpokwasili.

On the 17th, I'm off to see Young Frankenstein, at the Garrick! Might be what those old ladies were at this evening, the stop was pretty close.

The weekend is Funzing, with Walking in London. On the 18th, A Secret London Tour - I've had my eye on this for a while, it sounds interesting. And on the 19th, I'm finally doing Murder Mile Walk.

On the 20th, I'm off to This Beautiful Future, at the Yard Theatre.

On the 21st, my annual pilgrimage to Cirque Berserk at Winter Wonderland! Whee..

On the 22nd, back with Funzing and Walking in London, this time with Katie of Look Up London, and her Alternative Christmas Lights Tour. Delighted to give her the business, and it should be fun!

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time at the newly opened Bridge Theatre, for their first show, Young Marx. Delighted to make this - I had booked it for the 20th October, then the Crick Crack Club got in the way, as they often do! The theatre charged me a nominal fee to change it to this date. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I'm headed to see Follies at the National - another that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again..

On the 28th, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On the 29th, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. Helen's going to this one, and another friend. Oh, and the crazy lady - hope they protect me from her!

On the 30th, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for next week, with Up in the Cheap Seats. No refunds either. Ah well, just hope it's good, considering I've now booked it three times! Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th of December, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change.

On the 5th December, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets.

The 6th December sees our office Christmas party! Have seen a smashing dress online, at a great price - must get on to that.

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th of December, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with LEC! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and my other friend who's coming to the storytelling is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with them - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out.

Back late on the 10th of December, and on the 11th of December - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th of December, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I've just earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th of December, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - not yet advertised on Meetup, although it probably will be, TunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th of December, my friends who are off to Soho on the 13th of November are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

And on the 15th of December, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same people going with me as on the 29th of November - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all.

Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas. Farewell 2017 - it's been good!

No comments:

Post a Comment