Wednesday 12 July 2017

Play: Queen Anne

For tonight, I was looking at free comedy in Greenwich, with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich, and Random London - I see he's now taken to advertising them with Funzing UK as well. (I do wonder what's happening with London Literary Walks, who used to have a walk almost every Wednesday over the summer..) Anyway, on Friday, what should happen (over lunch) but that I got an offer of £5 tickets to go see Queen Anne (offer now available only on Saturday). Well now, that had already caught my attention - so I went to that. (The company involved do say not to spread their name around, but since they advertise on the Tube - and have done in the paper - I do think that's highly hypocritical.) And it's a short walk. And the rain dried up! All good.

So, naturally I left myself a little tight. Google Maps sent me down Orange Street - goodness, I'd never even noticed that was there! Anyway, it is only about an 11-minute walk, which is just as well, considering all the weaving among and around crowds I had to do. Seriously, why is it that, every single time I'm in a hurry, whole hordes of people come against me? School groups, tour groups.. oh, and it seems there was a Formula 1 event in and around Trafalgar Square, which is what all the detour signs were about.

I was so relieved when I saw the Theatre Royal Haymarket ahead. For goodness' sake, even at that point I had to wait for several seconds to let streams of people pass before I could make my way to the door! Dashed to the box office - he had my ticket for me nice and promptly, in an envelope. Which I had to open, to find out where I was sat - it's a last-minute decision of the house, with these cheap tickets. Stalls, yippee! It can happen. (Note: I got this for £5. I just checked online.. the cheapest official price for a ticket for this play is £15 (for four levels up!), and the seat I got.. would've cost me £55. Now then! Finally worth the £15 annual membership. Of the club I can't name.)

Stairs down - it's in the basement. I then had some waiting to do behind a group of people who were missing one, and wanted to know - I dunno, whether their companion, running late, would be let in later (nope). Found my own seat - perfectly decent, and comfy, as stalls seats usually are. And it's a typically gorgeous, West End theatre, apparently dating from the period just after the span of the play:



This is an RSC production, so you just know they're going to take it seriously. A wood-panelled stage sees actors in elaborate, early 18th century wigs and frock coats start with one of the musical satire numbers that punctuate the performance, providing some light relief. Otherwise, this is quite a weighty play - runs for almost three hours, including interval. Quite historically accurate, from what I know.

So, here's some history. King James II was a Catholic. He'd been married twice - his first wife died of cancer. By that marriage, he had two daughters - Mary and Anne. They were born during the reign of his brother,  a more astute man than he, who insisted that they be baptised as Protestants. His second marriage produced a son, who was baptised Catholic. Not popular, this - he lost his throne because of it. Mary, by this time, was married to William of Orange, ruler of the Netherlands, and in the "Glorious Revolution", took the throne jointly with him. (FYI, this was the last time that European crowned heads fought personally in battle.) When she died, he ruled on until his own death, which occurs shortly after the start of this play. He was succeeded by his sister-in-law, Anne. Mind you, the play concerns itself more with two real-life characters who had her ear, and the power play between them, and the opposing political factions that they represented.

It's very, very good. Long, as I say - and you'd probably better be interested in the history, or it's going to drag. But the acting is superb, all around. And the singing is top-notch. I would expect nothing less of this company. The parallels with modern current affairs are interesting, what with Britain's foreign interests, then and now - and there is a fascinating switch in power from the old favourite to the young protege that she had promoted. Best of all though is the dramatic, but believable, transformation of Anne herself when she takes the throne. Beforehand, she'd been rather feeble, weak-willed, easily persuaded; you'd be forgiven for thinking she was a bit dim. By the end, she knows her own mind, she's forceful and determined. Excellent production - runs through September. Do try and shop around for tickets. Oh, and they had that lovely, Loseley ice cream at the interval, that I had in Guildford last week. A little bit pricier, but gorgeous.

Tomorrow was more comedy - in Hammersmith - with the above groups, along with Hammersmith & Fulham Friends,  and Discover LDN.UK twice, as usual. But you know, Eleanor did a good job last week of selling upcoming events to us - so instead, I'm going to see The Good Soldier Schwejk - mainly because it's on upstairs at Sands Films, where I've never been. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, more comedy - for £3.60, this time. Tez Ilyas is performing at the Pleasaunce, and I know he's good - saw him in Top Secret once, for free..

On Tuesday, the U2 tour continues - I fly to Barcelona that day, to see them that night! One of their crazy, one-night-only appearances, on what is a very limited tour. Turns out I'm seeing them at half of all their European concerts for the year! Looking forward to immersing myself in the madness again.

I fly back next Wednesday, and that night was - provisionally - booked for more free comedy (quelle surprise). Greenwich, the above three groups. There are some interesting Funzing talks that night, but I've already seen them. And then - why, Eleanor has another event! I listened to a clip of Hanitra, decided I liked her enough, so now I'm booked to see her in Sands Films that night.

The 20th, I booked another Funzing talk (the above two groups). This is a talk about serial killers, as given by a forensic psychologist (Jennifer Rees) that works with the police, and who also gives terrific talks about psychopaths. Highly recommended! She's a terrifically engaging speaker, and looks far too young to be working in such a murky area. Unfortunately, now I've had to cancel - turns out that the much-anticipated first Meetup of the Man with the Hat's other ex-members' group, Love London for Less, is happening that night, so of course I'm headed to that - we're going to the Icebar, where I've never been. Should be interesting. Never mind about the talk - although, despite being on the watchlist for the talk, I received no notice, Helen spotted, over the weekend, that another instance of that talk has been scheduled for next month, and I'm booked for that.

Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend - first to Dublin (from London City airport, a first for me), for U2's (one-and-only!) concert there.. then down to see my mother for a couple of days, flying back on Tuesday.

On the 26th, I had booked free comedy in Greenwich - same groups as before. Then Funzing rode to the rescue, and instead I'm now headed to a Funzing talk entitled "Politics - WTF!" Appropriate, no? Anyway, I booked them on a once-only code "iwantfunzingagain". Or you could try "Funzing30" - both give 30% off, but are time-limited.

On the 27th, free comedy in Hammersmith again. So far.

So, that brings us to Friday 28th July, and it's off to Amsterdam, for my final two U2 concerts of the year (sniff). On Saturday and Sunday. Really, you have no idea of the organisation that went into all of this, back in January..!

I fly back on the 31st, and saw an interesting Funzing talk advertised for that night - "Are We Living in the Matrix?" Well, I'm well overdue a free talk, with all of them that I've booked (every fourth free), so I contacted them to get a code to get this for free. Still waiting..! Despairing of them, I finally booked it on one of their limited 50% deals over the weekend.

And on the 1st, I finally get to see Jennifer Rees again, when she's giving a talk on The Psychology of Criminals. With dim sum, great! (Had to stick with a 10% discount for this one - Fun_Day10 or Fun_Week10 are the ones you want for that.) And it's walking distance from me for once, in Covent Garden. Excellent.. and Helen has sensibly decided to come too. On which occasion she'll deliver all the stuff I couldn't fit in my bag, coming back from Twickenham!

No comments:

Post a Comment